Home

A Very vague Godfather reference

Posted By: Don Vercetti

A Very vague Godfather reference - 08/14/03 01:55 AM

A very vague reference is that in the opening credits, the tollbooth Tony pulls up to in each episode is the same one Sonny was killed at in the Godfather.
Posted By: The Godfather

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 08/14/03 03:05 AM

I can't believe the credibility of that.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 08/14/03 03:13 AM

IMDB.com
Posted By: TonySoprano

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 08/15/03 10:45 AM

The exact same tollbooth?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 08/15/03 01:47 PM

I read this post a few days ago, and haven't had a chance to check a Sopranos taped episode yet, but i am fairly certain that

A) The tollboth in GF was a set, specially constructed for the film at, I believe, Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. And
B) The tollboth that we see Tony using is at the Lincoln Tunnel, which connects New Jersey and Manhattan.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/02/03 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
A very vague reference is that in the opening credits, the tollbooth Tony pulls up to in each episode is the same one Sonny was killed at in the Godfather.
Errie Aint It?
Posted By: Don Mataya

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/02/03 10:01 PM

Plawrence, I dont think that the tollbooth in GFI was constructed especially for the movie. If I remeber correctly during an interview with FFC or the commentary on the DVD, he says that the city waited so they could film there. After the movie it was renovated.

However, I dont think its the same booth Tony goes under. But what do I know about Jersey Roads? Im from Iowa! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/02/03 10:07 PM

The Tollbooth where Sonny gets killed was in the middle of nowhere...the one that Tony is on seems like it's on a busy bridge or something.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/03/03 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

A) The tollboth in GF was a set, specially constructed for the film at, I believe, Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. And
B) The tollboth that we see Tony using is at the Lincoln Tunnel, which connects New Jersey and Manhattan.
Right on "A", wrong on "B"

From THE GODFATHER LEGACY, page 172:

"Coppola had originally planned to shoot at real tollbooths, but the traffic logistics proved impossible. Instead Tavoularis (Set Director Dean) created a realistic substitute on a runway at Floyd Bennet Field, a deserted airstrip on Long Island (actually Brooklyn)."

In the opening credits of the SOPRANOS (Season 1, at least), Tony is seen exiting the Lincoln Tunnel. The tollbooth he uses, however, is an entrance to the NJ Turnpike. He even takes a ticket from an automatic ticket dispensing machine.
Posted By: Don Mataya

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/03/03 06:11 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up Plawrence.
Posted By: Michael Montana Mancini

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/03/03 06:14 PM

yeah i was wrong too.....
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: A Very vague Godfather reference - 09/04/03 10:12 PM

Plawrence, thanks for giving it straight.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET