Home

Deleted scene?

Posted By: Irishman12

Deleted scene? - 09/16/04 10:37 PM

***SPOILERS ALERT***

I'm just curious but one of my favorite deleted scenes is from The Godfather Part II when Fabrizio is closing his restaurant in Buffalo, NY I believe and his car is wired then they shoot to Michael.

***END OF SPOILERS***

Why do you think they decided not to leave this in? I liked the scene & it was a great way to show what happens when you cross Michael Corleone. I mean, this scene is not that long so it's not due to time constraints. What do you guys think?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/16/04 10:56 PM

There were about 45 minutes of deleted scenes, total, from GF and II. They were left out of the theatrical releases because both films were way over the standard movie run length of two hours or less. As you know, you can see all the deleted scenes in the chronologically spliced "Godfather Saga" that's shown regularly on cable. Every one of those deleted scenes is worthwhile, IMO. I'd love to have a DVD version with all included in a chronologically spliced Trilogy.
A lingering question: how many scenes were never included in any version? Harlan Lebo's "The Godfather Legacy" has stills from a never-included scene where Michael himself showed up at Fab's pizza parlor with Fab's lupara, and blows him away personally. What I'd give to see that scene...
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/16/04 11:32 PM

Me too Turnbull, I'd love to see that scene. But again, I know there's 45 minutes of deleted scenes but why not just add the Fabrizio scene? It's only a minute or two & could have added more depth to Michael's character (if that was needed, which it is not). I still like it & thought it could have been in the movie without a big fuss, just my opinion.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 01:13 AM

It was unnecesary and would have slowed down Part II, IMO.
Posted By: AllEyesOnChris

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 06:35 PM

The Fabrizzio scene would have been shown at the beginning of part II, tying up that loose end from the first film and showing you how Michael has grown in power and influence. Aside from time regulations, why they left it out is beyond me...
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 07:03 PM

I always felt that the scene was quite necessary. The fact that Michael would've let Appollonia's murder go unavenged never made sense to me, so I could never understand why it was deleted.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Freddie C.:
It was unnecesary and would have slowed down Part II, IMO.
Freddie C. is correct.

In the movie, once Michael has returned to America it's time to cover other things. And there was a time limit to what FFC could use. To have even included Michael's shooting of Fabrizio in the pizza parlor (as originally depicted in the novel, I believe)...would've definitely slowed things down.

As for the car explosion it doesn't seem necessary even at the beginning of GFII...would've been a distraction from the current goings-on.

Glad it found a home right where it belonged all alonge...in the Saga.

Apple
Posted By: Harry

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Every one of those deleted scenes is worthwhile, IMO.
I agree. Every scene of revenge; young Vito's three killings in Corleone and Michael's against Fabrizio are vital to understanding the Corleones

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Harry:
[QUOTE]...young Vito's three killings in Corleone and Michael's against Fabrizio are vital to understanding the Corleones
No, they're not.

Because as entertaining as they are...we quite fully understand the Corleones from viewing the two films in original form, minus those scenes.
Their inclusion in The Godfather Saga is just icing on the cake.

In my opinion the ONE deleted scene which should have remained in The Godfather is when Bonasera is preparing for the meeting Don Corleone has requested. All the while he's wondering what horrible thing they want him to do...only to find Vito wants his 'massacred' son to be as presentable as possible for viewing.

I think it was a stirring contrast to Bonasera's original impression of the family, as depicted in the opening scene of the movie.

Apple

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 08:08 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] [QUOTE]...young Vito's three killings in Corleone and Michael's against Fabrizio are vital to understanding the Corleones
No, they're not.[/b]
uh, YES THEY ARE!!

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 08:11 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
[b] It was unnecesary and would have slowed down Part II, IMO.
Freddie C. is correct.
[/b]
NO HE"S NOT!! no slower than Clemenza making spaghetti and meatballs

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/17/04 08:27 PM

[QUOTE]...no slower than Clemenza making spaghetti and meatballs
That was not a scene in itself...but a lighthearted moment leading up to Michael exiting to visit the hospital.

Y'know, not every single scene of the film had to be some heavy, violent murder and yes, those scenes mentioned WOULD have slowed things down.

But Harry, why argue. If they were so relevent to understanding the Corleones, then I guess FFC would've decided to leave them in the final cut.

Apple
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Deleted scene? - 09/18/04 09:10 PM

The part w/ Fred Vincent's car blowing up would not have advanced the story in any way shape or form.If they were going to leave some of the dealeated scens in, the should leave some with some validity to the story.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET