Home

Donald Corleone??

Posted By: Buttmunker

Donald Corleone?? - 07/22/04 07:49 PM

When you're young watching movies, you misinterpret practically everything. For example, whenever they called Vito Don Corleone, I thought his first name was Donald.

But wouldn't that be something if an up-and-comer's first name was Don?

Serious question: where did the term 'Don' come from?
Posted By: Researcher

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/23/04 01:24 PM

It isn't clear where "Don" orginated from. It's a title of respect that some believe to be a derivative form of the spanish title "Dom", meaning "Lord".

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/23/04 01:40 PM

So, let's say Fredo had kids, and two generations later, Fredo's descendant is named Donald. Turns out to be a real loser, like his great-grandfather Fredo Corleone. yet everyone calls him "Don Corleone."
Posted By: Don Matteo

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/23/04 03:51 PM

They would call him Donnie or something like that. Nobody could look at a descendant of Fredo and call him Don Corleone without laughing.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/23/04 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Buttmunker:
So, let's say Fredo had kids, and two generations later, Fredo's descendant is named Donald. Turns out to be a real loser, like his great-grandfather Fredo Corleone. yet everyone calls him "Don Corleone."
Sounds like the premise for a terrific story, Buttmunker, definitely a best selling novel...followed by a film of EPIC proportions!

You get right to work on writing that, okay??
Keep us posted with the drafts!

Apple
Posted By: The Sicilian

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/25/04 12:09 AM

actually in Spanish the word "Don" is a term for endearment and respect towards older men. For example Don Francisco has been a latin american tv personality for years...dudes name is Francisco not Don...or Don Juan DeMarco...you get the idea..
Posted By: Mickey

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/25/04 12:55 AM

How about if there were a Johnson family involved in organized crime? I guess the head of that family would be referred to as "Don Johnson". tongue

(edit): Also, the Johnson family's 2 biggest rivals for power would be the Henley family and the Mattingly family.
Posted By: The Sicilian

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/25/04 02:05 AM

lol that was funny...
Posted By: Don Matteo

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/25/04 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Mickey:
How about if there were a Johnson family involved in organized crime? I guess the head of that family would be referred to as "Don Johnson". tongue

(edit): Also, the Johnson family's 2 biggest rivals for power would be the Henley family and the Mattingly family.
Rounding out the five families would be the the Cornelius and Knotts families.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/26/04 01:59 PM

Although a bit unrelated, for years my husband thought that the Don's favorite hitman was actually named Lou Cabrazzi.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/26/04 03:17 PM

Think of all the union jobs in transportation a "Don" Cornelius would control around the country. After all, he is the engineer of "Soul Train."

"Honorary Family" to James Brown, the "Godfather" of soul.

tony b.
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/26/04 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Although a bit unrelated, for years my husband thought that the Don's favorite hitman was actually named Lou Cabrazzi.
Ha Ha lol , Now that I think about it, I might have thought the same thing if it wasn't for reading the book.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/27/04 02:19 AM

Christopher Moltisanti thought it was "Louis Brasi"
Posted By: Santino Felice

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/27/04 03:18 PM

The Sicilian pretty much answered the question

Re: Donald Corleone?? - 07/27/04 03:22 PM

This thread could be interesting in the fact that I'm sure most people misinterpeted or misunderstood certain elements of the trilogy when they first saw it.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET