Home

**Nominations for best hat**

Posted By: Mickey

**Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 02:32 AM

I want to put up a poll for the best hat in the Godfather trilogy. Here are the ones I have so far, and I am now accepting nominations.

1) Tom's hat when he goes to see Woltz - the closest thing in the trilogy to the coolest hat of all time : Indiana Jones' fedora.

2) McClusky's hat on the way to the meeting with Michael - exactly the type of hat you'd expect an Irish cop to wear

3) Sollozzo's white hat he wears to the meeting with Vito - the sharpest looking of Sollozzo's many hats

4) Michael's hat in the scene where they off Carlo - How bad-ass does he look in this scene? The prototype of the slick gangster hat.

5) Fannucci's flamboyant white hat - easy to pick him out of a crowd.

6) Kay's enormous hat at Connie's wedding - looks like it probably obscured Michael's face in the wedding photo.

I know I'm probably leaving out some good hats. I'll leave the rest up to you guys.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 02:36 AM

Sollozzo's white hat gets my vote!

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Krlea

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 02:52 AM

Where's the poll? My vote's for Tom's hat. It makes him look so cool.
Posted By: Mickey

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 02:57 AM

Once we get enough good nominations, then I'll put up the poll. I know I'm leaving out some important pieces of headgear.

How about toddler Michael's hat when he visits Sicily with Vito, specifically the scene where Vito feeds him an olive. That was pretty cute.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 03:03 AM

Michael's hat after he comes back from Sicily and sees Kay for the first time.

Don C.'s battered old fedora, right before he gets shot.

Young Clemenza's hat.

Johnny Ola's hat.

Buscetta's black hat.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 04:35 AM

Sollozzo's is a real grade-A gangster special. I have one like that. The homburg that Michael wears when courting Kay (and confronting Carlo) makes him look like a kid dressed up as a banker.
Posted By: UnderBoss

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 07:02 AM

I think Fannucci had the most character-appropriate accessory, his whole waredrobe was almost as important to his character's image as his actions were.

I like young Clemenza's, the bowler is just right for his character as well and contrasts just enough with his posh gears to make him just enough of a hood for us to pick up on.

Mike's hat does make him the most bad-ass of the whole bunch, I think, when he walks into the house with Carlo, with that hat, I was like, WHAAAT?, he looks so fucking bad ass.

Those are three that really stick out for me.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 03:45 PM

I also liked young Clemenza'a derby/bowler.

How about the hat worn by Frankie "Five Angel's" brother as he entered the congressional hearings?

tony b.
Posted By: Santino Felice

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 04:15 PM

Sollazo definetly, that white hat looked great

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 04:50 PM

Originally posted by YoTonyB:
How about the hat worn by Frankie "Five Angel's" brother as he entered the congressional hearings?
I'd forgotten that one. And while we're on the subject of haberdashery, how about his cool tie? The one with the two balls hanging down.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 04:51 PM

Men:
The Fedora Michael's wearing when he finds Kay after returning from Italy. (For same reason as Turnbull's, BTW. It emphasizes he's no longer the college boy she fell in love with.)

Women:
That beret styled thing of Kay's in GFII, when she attempts to take the kids shopping and isn't allowed out.

(Actually, I think Kay is the only woman either film who is seen wearing hats.)

Apple
Posted By: XDCX

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/06/04 06:47 PM

My vote goes for Fanucci's hat. That guy just knew he was the man. He was probably the most blatantly pompous character of the whole trilogy.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/07/04 12:30 AM

If we're discussing headgear, what about Kay's hair in the NYC hotel room? Diane Keaton must've pissed off some hair stylist to end up with that 'do!! eek
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/07/04 04:51 AM

I also like Michael's Frank Sinatra Special hat that he wears when he returns to Tahoe after Cuba. So absolutely 1959!
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/07/04 01:39 PM

Vito's black cap he wears when killing Fanucci is cool. I have the "Fiery Gun" as my wallpaper.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/07/04 05:16 PM

One hat I always thought was out of place - when Michael returns to the compound with Clemenza and Clemenza asks, "what's with all the new faces?" there is one guy wearing a knit hat like a longshoreman would wear.

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/07/04 07:57 PM

We used to call them "stocking caps" when we were kids, right? I found out later in life that it's called a "watch cap"

[Linked Image]

She looks a lot better in one than the guard at the Corleone compound.
Posted By: Don Matteo

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/08/04 02:22 PM

Vito's hat in the picture of the Corleone men taken at Connie's wedding. I believe this was a PR pic used to promote the film.
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/08/04 07:11 PM

Originally posted by plawrence:
We used to call them "stocking caps" when we were kids, right? I found out later in life that it's called a "watch cap"

[Linked Image]

She looks a lot better in one than the guard at the Corleone compound.
Watch cap is what we called them in the Navy
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 07/08/04 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
I also like Michael's Frank Sinatra Special hat that he wears when he returns to Tahoe after Cuba. So absolutely 1959!
Put me down for Mikes hat when he came back from Sicily, with honorable mention to Fredo with his summer hat.
Posted By: don illuminati

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/18/05 11:21 PM

Michael's Sicillian bodyguard's hat is pretty appropriate.

A side note, why does he turn his back on Pentangeli and rebuff him when Pentangelli arrives at the old Corleone compound?
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/19/05 12:29 AM

I like both Sollozzo's hat (in the scene where he has Tom), and Tom's hat when he meets with Woltz.
Posted By: Joolsie Cappucetti

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/19/05 12:42 AM

Jeez, just read through this thread... that is a lot of hats!

Yeah I like Fredo's fishing hat too. Makes him look real smaht lol
Posted By: Forelli

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/19/05 02:22 AM

Michael's hat when he confronts Carlo.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/19/05 01:16 PM

Vito's hat when shooting Don Ciccio.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/20/05 04:19 PM

Michael's cap when he drives off with Kay in GFIII

An of course Gilday's Miter
Posted By: svsg

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/20/05 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Do you like the hat of your namesake Enzo during the hospital scene? smile
Posted By: Al.Neri

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/20/05 08:17 PM

Tom's hat when visiting Woltz (and his looks in general) and Fanucci's is my favorites.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/21/05 02:36 AM

Gotta love the hat Michael was wearing when he confronted Carlo. As for Apple's comment about Kay being the only woman we see wearing a hat, isn't that a bit odd? Women in the 1940's and '50's never went anywhere without a hat. Maybe it's because Kay is the only one who ever leaves her house! Think about it - when do you ever see the women, except at home?
Posted By: Aziatic

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/21/05 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Mickey:
4) Michael's hat in the scene where they off Carlo - How bad-ass does he look in this scene? The prototype of the slick gangster hat.
That'll get my vote. wink Tom would be a close second...
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/21/05 01:06 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like the hat of your namesake Enzo during the hospital scene?
Not really smile
By the way, do you know where my name is coming from? Kudos for the one who knows.
Posted By: svsg

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/21/05 03:30 PM

quote:

Do you like the hat of your namesake Enzo during the hospital scene?
Not really smile
By the way, do you know where my name is coming from? Kudos for the one who knows.
No, I had to google for "scifo" and the very second link revealed who "Enzo Scifo" is smile . Sorry, I have never followed soccer frown
Posted By: leigh

Re: **Nominations for best hat** - 06/23/05 10:21 PM

I have to put my vote in for the goofy hat Frankie P's brother sports.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET