Home

what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ?

Posted By: Augusto

what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 08:12 AM

exactly what does "sonna cosa nostra mean?
thanks
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 10:12 AM

Mmmm, most people ask what Cosa Nostra means. And that's, if I remember well, "This thing of ours". But the word Sonna I don't know. I don't speak Sicilian.
Posted By: Nick totoro

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 12:49 PM

It sounds more like a coloqualism to me. Are you sure it's not "sono cosa nostra?"

It would literally mean "I am our thing," but probably more coloquial for "I am of this thing of ours" or something like that.

Basically, just a way of a guy saying he's a "friend of ours," I suppose... wink

Nick
Posted By: Bella_Dana

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 01:13 PM

nick totoro

are you italian? because it could be that "son na" you say on sicilian and in itlian they say "sono". and both means the same.

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 01:21 PM

Technically, I'm Sicilian. My family is from Messina on both sides, but I do no understand Sicilian. I know the differences between certain words (figlia, fighia, etcetera), but not really grammar so much. Anything I've learned has been from studying & lessons and that teaches basically "textbook" Italian.

My Parents came to the US and immediately wanted to be American so badly. They worked hard, but kept their identities, the Catholic faith, and many other aspects. One thing they didn't pass on to my Sister and me was the language. They wanted us to be American and speak English. Noble, I realize, but we also missed out on a bit. I'm 31 and it's still not too late, though.

Nick
Posted By: Bella_Dana

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 01:27 PM

no it sure ain't too late to learn something. italian is a beautiful language. i'm not italian but i'm learning it from a friend.

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 01:40 PM

Amen... no harm in that at all... grin

Nick
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 03:06 PM

For someone from Corleone, they don't know their Italian. RE: Augusto. rolleyes

Io sono = I am
Sono = I'm

Cosa Nostra has already been explained.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 04:47 PM

It means, "It's our thing" (i.e., the Mafia). Puzo put those words in Vito's mouth (in the novel) at the Great Gangster Convention. He picked it up from Joe Valachi, who disclosed it publicly several years before Puzo wrote the novel.

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/17/04 07:52 PM

I could see "e' cosa nostra" meaning "It's our thing," but first person singular and third person plural for essere (to be) are both "sono."

Then again, I could be completely wrong and this really is a coloqiualism. I need to get out more... smile

Nick
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/18/04 01:22 AM

I always took it as a mis- or alternative spelling of Sono Cosa Nostra, which has already been said to be I am our thing.
Posted By: Augusto

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/21/04 06:33 AM

Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
For someone from Corleone, they don't know their Italian. RE: Augusto. rolleyes
obviously, im not italian. i'm from manila.
Posted By: DJGodfather

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/21/04 06:53 AM

I would love to learn Italian as well, I am 100% and still do not know it...didnt come off the boat LOL!
Posted By: Angel_Dust

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/26/04 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
It means, "It's our thing"
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/27/04 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Augusto:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[b] For someone from Corleone, they don't know their Italian. RE: Augusto. rolleyes
obviously, im not italian. i'm from manila. [/b]
That's the beauty of being able to change your profile and whereabouts.
Posted By: Christian Klee

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/27/04 05:01 AM

hey! what does pizzonovante mean? i dunno the correct spelling but i think you get what i mean.
Posted By: olivant

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 03/27/04 06:18 PM

pezzonovanti = 90 calibers. It's a ballistics reference to big shots in church and state.
Posted By: Christian Klee

Re: what does "Sonna cosa nostra" mean ? - 04/04/04 07:41 AM

having the title.. piccioto - i forgot the spelling again - does it imply that you are becoming a qualified man or is it branded to the losers who just kill without thinking?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET