Home

Godfather marathon or not?

Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead

Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 04:46 PM

I've never done this but for some reason i want to do it. I want to watch all 3 movies back to back. Now i haven't watched them in a long time and want to know if there's anything i should do in order to maximize the experience and make the most out of it?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 04:48 PM

A jug of wine never hurts whistle.

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 04:59 PM

A friend of mine recommended a joint or two lol
Posted By: olivant

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead
A friend of mine recommended a joint or two lol

Well, I'd start by ignoring that goof's advice. Instead, read the novel or read up on the Mafia in general (not the current Mafia which is a far cry from the one portrayed in the Trilogy). You might also want to access some of the websites that provide information on the Trilogy's production.

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 05:24 PM

Well i do know about the mafia back from Lucky Luciano's days to John Gotti's. I've watched the movies a hundred times before and the first 2 films might be 2 of my all time favorites. I also know well enough about the production of the trilogy. Haven't read the book yet lol, well i just want to know how to maximize my experience while watching the trilogy back to back. Last time i watched any of the movies was over a year ago ohwell

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 05:25 PM

Well i do know about the mafia back from Lucky Luciano's days to John Gotti's. I've watched the movies a hundred times before and the first 2 films might be 2 of my all time favorites. I also know well enough about the production of the trilogy. Haven't read the book yet lol, well i just want to know how to maximize my experience while watching the trilogy back to back. Last time i watched any of the movies was over a year ago ohwell

To maximize your experience, you have to read the novel.
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 06:00 PM

Yes, I second the suggestion of reading the book.

You'll learn great backstories about characters like McCluskey and Luca Brasi as well as details on how Vito arranged Michael's return and exoneration.

Actually, I recommend you forego the booze and pot and read the book while watching the films.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 06:34 PM

I've never done this but for some reason i want to do it. I want to watch all 3 movies back to back. Now i haven't watched them in a long time and want to know if there's anything i should do in order to maximize the experience and make the most out of it?

I've done it several times. Best if you make sure there are no interruptions. During GF I have some espresso and biscotti, maybe a canneloni. For II I suggest pasta and some wine. For III more red wine followed by lots of grappa.

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 06:53 PM

dontomasso you make it sound like a ritual... i like it grin
Posted By: Danito

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 09:43 PM

I enjoy it most when I focus on details like eye-contact between characters, details like flowers, children, etc., rhythm of the film.

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/18/12 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Danito
I enjoy it most when I focus on details like eye-contact between characters, details like flowers, children, etc., rhythm of the film.

Exactly. That's why so many of us have watched one or more of the Trilogy's films many, many times. One always picks up on something in the films that one did not notice before.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/19/12 01:48 AM

If you havent read the book, you dont know what you are missing.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/19/12 08:18 AM

Original geschrieben von: danielperrygin
If you havent read the book, you dont know what you are missing.

The book has a value of its own.
I think that The Godfather is one of the few films which was better than the novel on which it was based.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/19/12 12:21 PM

I think your crazy, if every scene from the book was in the movie then maybe but there is just to much missing in the movie. The Godfather Saga is the best production of the movie.
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/19/12 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
I think your crazy, if every scene from the book was in the movie then maybe but there is just to much missing in the movie. The Godfather Saga is the best production of the movie.

While it's true that the movie(s) omit many intersting things from the book, it also omits many parts of the book that are somewhat less compelling (e.g. the Hollywood sexcapades).

The book is a good story, but the movie is far more successful in transporting the audience into its time, place, and lifestyle.
Posted By: Professor_M

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/19/12 10:22 PM

Get someone else to start your car.

Seriously, watch 'em late at night when your experience won't be disturbed.
Posted By: JJ_Gittes

Re: Godfather marathon or not? - 04/20/12 09:40 AM

Give it a couple of weeks or so, read the book, then watch the movies, should be right in time for the new 'Family Corleone' novel.
I'd also make a point of watching the deleted scenes for each film before moving to the next - they're well & truly worth it.

Apart from that, stuffing yourself full of pizza and/or pasta washed down with red vino while watching the movies wouldn't hurt.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET