Home

Luca Brasi history???

Posted By: BarrytheBull

Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 07:29 PM

Does anyone else think that FFC should have given a bit of the bad ass history that was Luca Brasi? I mean, you are supposed to fear this guy in the movie, and the only story you hear about him is Michaels story to Kate about the "Band Leader", I know they can only put so much into a movie, but I saw the movie before I read the book, and I was not aware of how much of a Bad Mother Luca was.
I really think they should have put him in GFII when they were showing the history of young Vito, or even a little something in GFI to show why he was such a force. I think it would have had a great impact, maybe made sense on why the Turk took him out soo quickly.
Any one agree???
Thanks guys and gals!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 09:02 PM

You can almost do a whole movie about Luca Brasi.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 09:42 PM

Luca was scary enough just looking at him and the story Michael told to Kay served to reinforce that scariness. It was quite enough.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 10:01 PM

I don't agree there should have been ANY of Luca's background included in either of the movies.

Like many 'background' details that made some real compelling reading in the book (such as Neri's story and especially how they managed to bring Michael home from Sicily)...it had no place in the film.

The story was about the Corleone Family...not Luca Brasi.

Apple
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 10:10 PM

Luca was definitely scary enough in his physical appearance.

In the book, Luca is described as "short, squat, massive-skulled". Puzo says he is a frightening, intimidating sight. Still, though, we, as readers, have to use a bit of our imagination to help the image along.

But, in the film, to actually see someone of Lenny Montana's size - especially standing next to Brando - gives us an immediate picture that is unmistakable. Michael's description and Luca's halting delivery of his rehearsed speech only underscore this, IMO.

Anyone who has read the book could say that Luca's "backstory" might certainly be enough for an entire movie. And, for me, there's the problem: like the whole Lucy Mancini story, to have included it in GF1 may have detracted a bit from the main story FFC was trying to tell.

Signor V.

--------------------
"Orson fall down?"
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 08/31/06 10:40 PM

There are many good stories from the novel--Luca's, Neri's, Sonny's rise, the Bocchiccio's and how they helped Michael--that made the novel all the more pleasurable. But I don't think that the movie, long as it was, suffered by not including them.
Posted By: BarrytheBull

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 09/01/06 05:13 PM

These are all good points.....thanks for the input, I can always count on you guys to give great input.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 09/01/06 07:21 PM

Originally posted by olivant:
Luca was scary enough just looking at him and the story Michael told to Kay served to reinforce that scariness. It was quite enough.
I wholeheartedly disagree about the story about Luca....there is nothing intimidating about a man holding a gun. It could have been me holding the gun and saying the same words, I would have preferred a story about his physical size not using a gun to some nobody, a story about him doing something to other tough guys would have been better. Just my $.02
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Luca Brasi history??? - 09/01/06 08:55 PM

DMC, I think that the reason FFC had Michael tell that story to Kay was threefold.

1) To give insight into Luca's character and personalilty.

2)To give the viewer a little more insight into what Vito and the Corleone family was really about.

3)To show us at that point in the picture that even though Michael said to Kay "that's my family Kay, it's not me," deep down, or maybe even subconsciencely he enjoyed 'bragging' about how powerful his father and his family really was. He was trying to impress Kay. Eventually as we got deeper into the movie we looked back upon that scene said to ourselves " Hey! It really was you Mike, and not just your family as you claimed."

Don Cardi cool
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET