Home

The End

Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

The End - 02/01/04 11:58 PM

I let a friend watch GF1, and she says that the ending is the worst possible ending for a movie. How anyone can think that is beyond me. The endings of all 3 movie are the best possible ways to end them, and 1 is no diffrent.Closing the door on Kay was symbolic and she doesnt seem to get that. mad
Posted By: Io non bib

Re: The End - 02/02/04 01:15 AM

and you call this person a friend?
Posted By: Connie_Corleone

Re: The End - 02/02/04 02:40 AM

Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
I let a friend watch GF1, and she says that the ending is the worst possible ending for a movie. ...Closing the door on Kay was symbolic and she doesnt seem to get that. mad
Oh my god how could she NOT get it??? It's one of the best scenes, ever ... I'm speechless.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: The End - 02/02/04 02:57 AM

yeah how can she not get the ending? What does she think would make a good ending?
Posted By: EnzoBaker

Re: The End - 02/02/04 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Connie_Corleone:
[b] I let a friend watch GF1, and she says that the ending is the worst possible ending for a movie. ...Closing the door on Kay was symbolic and she doesnt seem to get that. mad
Oh my god how could she NOT get it??? It's one of the best scenes, ever ... I'm speechless. [/b]
The book goes into a much longer explanation of it, but the final scene conveys the message perfectly: Kay knows, despite what Michael had just told her, that in fact, the answer was "yes."

I always have fun with friends posing this "what-if" scenario about the ending:

MICHAEL: This one time, I'll let you ask me about my business.
KAY: Is it true?
MICHAEL: (long pause)
You ask me if it's true? All right, I'll tell you: Yes, it's true. You're damn right it's true. Carlo set up my brother to be killed and he beat my sister within inches of her life at least twice that we know of. He sold Pop out, he sold Sonny out, and he was gonna sell me out the first chance he got. You're looking at me like I'm a monster, and let me tell you: I am. I'm a monster to anybody who goes against my blood. Anybody who threatens you, or me, or our children, is gonna find out the same thing. And someday, you're gonna be thankful for it.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: The End - 02/02/04 05:42 PM

...Closing the door on Kay was symbolic and she doesnt seem to get that. mad
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Don Sonny...your friend just doesn't get it. Lots of people don't.

Your frustration is certainly understandable ... little we can do but take pity on people like this and hope they are gradually drawn in and one day figure it out.

Better than wasting our energy...though the BB Board is a great place to vent about it!!!

Best,
Apple
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The End - 02/02/04 08:54 PM

After seeing GF so many times, I easily remember my feelings toward the ending, and even at my first viewing, I found it made perfect sense. I thought it was a great way to end. wink Plus, it was a perfect ending to make way for the sequel don't you think?? smile

TIS
Posted By: king henrik

Re: The End - 02/02/04 10:53 PM

when the door is shut on Kay...there isnt much to "get". Its not like there is a hidden message there or anything.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The End - 02/02/04 11:48 PM

Doors are a metaphor for Michael and Kay's relationship in the other films, too. In GFII, when Kay is visiting her kids after her split from Michael, he closes the door on her. In GFIII, in Sicily, Kay and Michael are that close to renewing their romance when Calo knocks on the door to tell Michael that Don Tomassino's been shot. Michael leaves Kay, goes through the door to do Sicilian vengeance business with Calo--as the camera pans backward on Kay, alone, on the other side of the door, with a look of resignation and regret, as if to say, "this isn't me--I'm not part of this."
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: The End - 02/03/04 12:16 AM

I never thought of doors being a metaphor in the Godfather films. Turnbull is this your own interpretation or did you read about the metaphor from somewhere? I find that interesting and would like to read that article if there is one.
Posted By: Connie_Corleone

Re: The End - 02/03/04 06:34 AM

Originally posted by EnzoBaker:
The book goes into a much longer explanation of it, but the final scene conveys the message perfectly: Kay knows, despite what Michael had just told her, that in fact, the answer was "yes."
[/QB]
Hmmm ... I guess I have a different point of view on that one. I prefer the ending in the movie (well, I prefer the movie on a lot of levels). I think Kay really did believe Michael at the moment he said, "No." It wasn't until she looked back into the study, saw the guys with Michael, and had the door closed on her that she began to understand/have second thoughts.

I guess another reason why I prefer the movie ending (and its continuation in GF2) is that I never quite bought that Kay would 'hop onboard' with the Scicilian 'thing' as she calls it ... well she definitely proved that in GF2 as we all know. Seemed more in character with Kay in general, or with a WASP-ish, upper class bred woman. (just my theory!)
Posted By: Capo Status

Re: The End - 02/04/04 11:42 PM

I dont think you could have had a better ending to it, i mean, the door shuts after he explains to Kay not to ask about his buisiness. i mean, seriously, genious. you couldnt have done it another way. and people dont get it? people expext too much, and i dont these people know how to even view a movie. i dunno, im rambling , but i may have a point in there somewhere.
Posted By: Enzo da baker

Re: The End - 02/06/04 06:22 PM

DSC tell yor freind to read the posts here she might learn and like it too smile

Re: The End - 02/07/04 12:28 AM

I did. She said that all of us here have no lives.She was going to make a list of all the negitive parts of the movie, but she hasnt gotten around to it. rolleyes ohwell
Posted By: DannyMontana

Re: The End - 02/08/04 07:53 AM

The end of The Godfather was brilliant! It was perfect and left you wanting more. I remember when I rented all three for the first time at once, right after I got done with the first, I shoved GF II into the VCR like there was no tomorrow grin
Posted By: Paolo Violi

Re: The End - 02/26/04 02:13 AM

I think you guys are all wrong on this one. It's not about wether or not Michael killed all those people. She definitely has doubts but she decides to beleive him. How could she be sure he ordered the killings?

The signification of the last scene is that when she turns around and she sees the capos kissing the Don, she is confronted with the reality that these men are more intimate with her husband then she is. She doesn't know if he ordered the killings but she knows for sure that THEY know. There are something between them, the 'sicilian thing', that she is not part of.

This is, I think, what the last scene meant.

Paolo Violi.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: The End - 02/26/04 03:43 AM

DSC,

Is your friend the casual film viewer that expects loads of action like most teens now a days? Like My Fellow Pears?

No wonder she hatted it... She doesnt know how to see a movie...
Posted By: Timothy Miller

Re: The End - 02/26/04 04:01 AM

That's very strange about your friend, everyone I know who has seen the movie has loved the show, including the ending. Kay was naive, she needed to wake up and Michael's way of making her wake up is with the door theory.

Re: The End - 02/26/04 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
DSC,

Is your friend the casual film viewer that expects loads of action like most teens now a days? Like My Fellow Pears?

No wonder she hatted it... She doesnt know how to see a movie...
Yes exactally.A casual viewer. She thinks good movies are How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, A Walk to remember and crap like that. Nearly all teens today dont give a shit abouty the actual acting, just how many action scenes or hot guys there are.
Posted By: Bella_Dana

Re: The End - 02/26/04 07:56 AM

to me the end was great of gf1, i can't understand that people dont get it. because to me it was obvious.
Posted By: Alonzo the Armless

Re: The End - 02/26/04 08:39 PM

By the way, it should also be noted that the ending was probably inspired by the ending of THE SEARCHERS where we see Ethan walking away while the door closes in front of him. Our viewpoint is from inside the house and the door also turns the screen to black.

It saddens me to hear how someone would not appreciate the ending of THE GODFATHER due to too much exposure to mainstream movie pap. The best movies aren't those that tie everything up in a nice neat knot. It leaves nothing to discuss because the movie already tells you how to think and feel. Great films often ask as many or more questions than they answer. They give you something to think about and often linger in your head long after the movie's over. That's why there's so many more websites devoted to movies like THE GODFATHER or, say, CITIZEN KANE than something like HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS.

I'd also like to point out that incredible expression on Diane Keaton's face as the door closes when she realizes what her husband has turned into. It haunts me for a long time every time I watch it and I feel great sympathy for her. That's a powerful scene.

Re: The End - 02/27/04 03:18 AM

Actually Part II had a beter ending...

Mike out on the lake... So Haunting...
Posted By: Bella_Dana

Re: The End - 02/27/04 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
Actually Part II had a beter ending...

Mike out on the lake... So Haunting...
the ending of part 2 was kind of sad to me, hes sittin all alone on the lake and thinking about the past. but it's also symbolic.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: The End - 02/27/04 04:44 PM

...She said that all of us here have no lives. She was going to make a list of all the negitive parts of the movie, but she hasnt gotten around to it...
Don Sonny:

If your friend ever comes up with that list, I'd love to see it.

But if she does ever manage to get around to such a thing, please remind her for us that it is SHE who apparently has no life.

Best,
AppleOnYa
Posted By: madewoman

Re: The End - 02/27/04 08:20 PM

She said that all of us here have no lives.

My boyfriend said the same thing, which is
odd, as he's perfect in every way, otherwise.
wink
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: The End - 02/27/04 11:00 PM

Well I'm ashamed to say my family, friends,dont even get as far as the ending, they said the GF was boring eek They just don't have the 'soul' to see the masterpiece it is smile

FH

Re: The End - 02/27/04 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Family Honour:
Well I'm ashamed to say my family, friends,dont even get as far as the ending, they said the GF was boring eek They just don't have the 'soul' to see the masterpiece it is smile

FH
Im glad that Is not the case with my family...
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: The End - 02/29/04 02:18 AM

I let a friend watch GF1, and she says that the ending is the worst possible ending for a movie.
This seriously needs to be sorted out. Your friend clearly has some mental illness. Cure it by chopping off her head and putting it in a stable. smile

Mick

Re: The End - 02/29/04 02:26 AM

That is an ingenius idea!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET