Home

Tom Hagen and GFIII

Posted By: King_Corleone

Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/25/06 09:00 PM

First of this is my first post and this board is awesome. Good to be around so many people like myself. My question is, what are the reasons behind Tom Hagen being "Dead" in GFIII why wasn't he in the movie. Is this just how FFC and MP wanted it or did Robert Duvall have something to do with it?

-KC
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/25/06 09:23 PM

It is rumored that Duvall wanted as much money as Pacino and Paramount wouldn't pay his salary so Duvall wasn't in Part III.

The explanation is that Hagan "didn't live to see his son [Andrew] ordrained as a priest."

I think that is the only mention of Tom's death.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/26/06 11:33 PM

It's also interesting that Michael is still refering to Tom as a great lawyer and not as a brother or member of the family. Despite Michael's epiphany in GFIII, apparently he still harbors some animosity toward Tom.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/27/06 12:32 AM

Good point.
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/24/07 02:32 AM

I heard Duvall talk about not being in GF3... he expained that he knew he wasnt as big a star as Pacino... "at least give me half of what you are giving Al" - he said something to that effect... I guess they really low balled him.... more money for the Vineyard LOL
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/24/07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: The_ScarFather
I heard Duvall talk about not being in GF3... he expained that he knew he wasnt as big a star as Pacino... "at least give me half of what you are giving Al" - he said something to that effect... I guess they really low balled him.... more money for the Vineyard LOL

I have always heard it was about the money, but it is interesting that Duvall went on to finance his own Indie movie about the corrupt preacher. and also appeared for free in Sling Blade in which he had made an investment.
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/25/07 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I have always heard it was about the money, but it is interesting that Duvall went on to finance his own Indie movie about the corrupt preacher. and also appeared for free in Sling Blade in which he had made an investment.

Interesting how?

GF3 was all about money... Tom wanted his cut. Why take the hit and make less? half of Pacino's salary or close to it would have been fair... I bet Coppola regrets it

YOU'RE OUT TOM! LOL
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 04/26/07 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Interesting how?

GF3 was all about money... Tom wanted his cut. Why take the hit and make less? half of Pacino's salary or close to it would have been fair... I bet Coppola regrets it

YOU'RE OUT TOM! LOL

Interesting that Duvall obviously had a price to sell out.
Posted By: Alexander Kokotas

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 06/03/07 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
It's also interesting that Michael is still refering to Tom as a great lawyer and not as a brother or member of the family. Despite Michael's epiphany in GFIII, apparently he still harbors some animosity toward Tom.

I'm sorry, but doesn't Michael say "my brother Tom Hagen's son, Andrew" to the Archbishop?
Posted By: Alexander Kokotas

Re: Tom Hagen and GFIII - 06/03/07 11:09 PM

Also, here's what wikipedia reports:

Quote:
Francis Ford Coppola has stated that Part III was originally planned to have the eventual split between Michael and Tom as its central plot. Coppola stated in the film's commentary that Duvall demanded the same salary as Pacino, which Coppola apparently rejected on principle.

How would the story play out, given the film's story? I'm intrigued...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET