Home

Tom Hagen as the Don

Posted By: Immobiliare

Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/18/11 04:17 PM

How do you think Tom would have fared as the Don?

We all know that Micheal told Tom that he would take over as Don should anything happen to Micheal post lake tahoe shooting but your answers don't necessarily have to take into account these circumstances. Just in general, do you think Tom had it in him to become a good Don? better than Sonny perhaps?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/18/11 04:38 PM

It's hard to figure. As the novel states, Tom wanted to work for Vito and he told Vito that he knew who he was. Well, one infers that he knew that Vito was a murderer and as time went on Tom aided and abetted Vito's (and then Michael's) murder and mayhem. So, obviously, Tom was quite willing to plow the depths of immorality. However, in the role of Don I think that Tom would not have been perceived as strong and unassailable until he did something that would put the underworld on notice that he was a Don in every sense. It was the same with Michael. He had to orchestrate the Don's massacre before Clemenza et al gave him their approbation. Of course, given his legal background, Tom would have probably kept the family out of the limelight and protected it in every legal sense.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/18/11 05:43 PM

Tom as Don: "We done this be-FO-wer," as Senator Geary said. lol

As a non-Italian, Tom would have zero credibility with the other Mob families. They would take his ascension to the Donship as a sign of terminal weakness among the Corleones--and an invitation to move in on them. As Oli said, Tom was not reluctant to wallow in the dark side. But, as a lawyer, Tom was a conciliator and negotiator by nature. He didn't have the "personal force" that Puzo wrote about in the novel as being a vital quality for a Don.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/18/11 06:05 PM

I agree with TB, but it would even be worse than the problem with the other families. Tom would have trouble with the likes of Rocco, Neri, and Pentageli as well.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/18/11 11:22 PM

I think Tom was a great asset to the Family, both personally/professionally and one which Michael probably didn't use as well or as much as he should have. But Tom was a career number two guy.

Nothing wrong with that but I don't see him having the personal force to lead men or make them go in fear of him. Also I think he lacked the instincts and ability for non-linear thinking which Michael had.
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/19/11 01:42 PM

Agreed with Lilo and TB.

To survive, a Don needs to keep people in line through some combination of fear, loyalty, and the belief that it's in their best interest to work under said Don.

I don't think Tom would install any of those feeling in his subordinates, much less all three.
Posted By: Immobiliare

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/19/11 01:43 PM

Quick question: after Vito died who took over as Micheals consigliere? Did he just abolish the role?
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Tom Hagen as the Don - 07/19/11 02:03 PM

I think Tom would be a great businessman of political figure, not a great Don. TB's post is the most valid argument.

Originally Posted By: Immobiliare
Quick question: after Vito died who took over as Micheals consigliere? Did he just abolish the role?

In Winegardner's novel it's Clemenza and to be honest I think that would be plausible.

In Part II, we later see Tom sort of regaining his former role.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET