Home

Geary and Mrs. Geary

Posted By: VitoC

Geary and Mrs. Geary - 08/27/10 07:45 PM

Did it strike anyone as strange that when he was making his speech at the party at the beginning of Part II, Senator Geary referred to his wife as "Mrs. Geary"? Everyone already knows she's Mrs. Geary to begin with--she's his wife! It sounds so unnatural and distant. Whenever you hear politicians mention their spouses today, they always refer to them by first name (for example, I heard Al Gore say "Tipper and I..." in one speech). Was this intended to show how distant Geary and his wife were, or were people just more formal then, and when making public statements referred to even their spouses with Mr. or Mrs.?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 08/27/10 11:52 PM

People were more formal then. Also, unless I misheard that speech, his wife's name also was "Pat." Perhaps he was trying to avoid confusion.

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 08/27/10 11:59 PM

I thought when he said "Pat" he was actually referring to Kay but got her name wrong. He seemed to be correcting himself when he said "Kay" right afterwards.
Posted By: SC

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 08/27/10 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Also, unless I misheard that speech, his wife's name also was "Pat."

Before going to Fredo's whorehouse, Senator Geary used to practice an act of perversion with his wife and once bragged, "I finally got it down Pat".
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/28/10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: VitoC
I thought when he said "Pat" he was actually referring to Kay but got her name wrong. He seemed to be correcting himself when he said "Kay" right afterwards.

That's what I thought. It was another indirect insult to the Corleones (like his mispronounciation of "Anthony Vyto Carlean"

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/28/10 06:40 PM

(for example, I heard Al Gore say "Tipper and I..." in one speech).

Yeah, well look how THAT worked out!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/28/10 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

That's what I thought. It was another indirect insult to the Corleones (like his mispronounciation of "Anthony Vyto Carlean"

I think his accidental use of the name Pat was the actor's mistake which they just left in the scene. I also think Geary was a typical Anglo who had little familiarity with ethnic pronounciations. He would have probably said "Eye-talian.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/28/10 08:46 PM

And this is just one of the reasons that make these movies so good; people are portrayed as humanbeings.

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/29/10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I think his accidental use of the name Pat was the actor's mistake which they just left in the scene. I also think Geary was a typical Anglo who had little familiarity with ethnic pronounciations. He would have probably said "Eye-talian.

Not so Olivant... remember the scene in Michael's office when he went out of his way to pronounce "Corleone" properly.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/29/10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
...I think his accidental use of the name Pat was the actor's mistake which they just left in the scene. I also think Geary was a typical Anglo who had little familiarity with ethnic pronounciations. He would have probably said "Eye-talian.

I've always thought the very same thing. It's just too awkward a gaffe to have been scripted for the film.

As for the public mis-pronunciation of 'Corleone', it was probably written as intentional on Geary's part. Especially because of the 'VYTO'. His DIRECT insult at the Italian people while in Michael's office completely supports this...

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/29/10 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
As for the public mis-pronunciation of 'Corleone', it was probably written as intentional on Geary's part. Especially because of the 'VYTO'. His DIRECT insult at the Italian people while in Michael's office completely supports this...

...and especially as he made a point of pronouncing it correctly and distinctively in the office...
Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 09/29/10 09:11 PM

I've seen where older, wealthy or high-status men will introduce their wives as Mrs. Whatever. I've always interpreted that as a signal so that if someone later talks to her, THEY would know to call her Mrs instead of her first name.

That would seem to comport with the situation here; "if any of these eye-talians dare speak to muh wife, they better speak up to her and call her Mrs. Geary, rather than by her first name, lest they think they were her equal".

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 10/07/10 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Blonde
I've seen where older, wealthy or high-status men will introduce their wives as Mrs. Whatever. I've always interpreted that as a signal so that if someone later talks to her, THEY would know to call her Mrs instead of her first name.

That would seem to comport with the situation here; "if any of these eye-talians dare speak to muh wife, they better speak up to her and call her Mrs. Geary, rather than by her first name, lest they think they were her equal".

In "Gone With The Wind" (at least in the movie), Scarlett's parents call each other Mr. and Mrs. O'Hara even though no one else is in the room!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 10/07/10 03:05 PM

It would have been nice to see Geary's debt to the Corleones fleshed out a bit more in Part III. Although I can't imagine he would have been much help at the Vatican. With his horrible pronunciation, he may have addressed the Pope as the Poop.

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 10/07/10 07:41 PM

Can you imagine him introducing Karol Józef Wojtyla? lol
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Geary and Mrs. Geary - 10/07/10 07:53 PM

It would be something like 'Kayrowl Jeezef Waytayla'. smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET