Home

GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks

Posted By: Danito

GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/11/10 10:40 PM

The Godfather 2 entwines two stories:
1) The rise of young Vito Corleone from a hunted kid to a Janus-faced man, who is a loving person but at the same time becomes the most powerful mobster in the US.
The Story: logical, bright, no mystery-whodunnit.
2) His son Michael Corleone who never wanted to be part of it, but he was a too talented gangster.
The Story: mysterious, sad, a little over-complicated.

Which one do you like better?
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 04:27 PM

I always preferred the flashback scenes in GF2..
Posted By: VitoC

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 04:31 PM

Me too. Michael's story is a little too dark for my taste.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 04:32 PM

I have to go with the flashbacks. If for no other reason: All four of my grandparents came through Ellis Island from Italy. And like most immigrants of that time, all four settled on the Lower East Side. So watching the flashbacks is like watching a piece of personal history for me.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 05:24 PM

I'll go with Michael's story, but just by the thinnest of margins. The Cuba scenes, and the interaction between Michael and Roth tipped it in that direction for me.
Also I think the acting of the guy who played Fanucci in the flashback scenes was over the top.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 06:11 PM

The flashbacks are far more entertaining; however for the purpose of the film, the story of Vito's beginnings and rise should be appreciated as merely a backdrop, adding depth and history to the primary story of 'current' Don Michael.

Which is why when the Saga is shown, that last chronological segment minus the flashbacks is too dark, too sad and at times excrutiatingly boring.

But...it's still the main story of GFII.

Apple
Posted By: SimoneMC

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 06:19 PM

Okay, I voted for Vito's story as it holds so much eloquence and appeal, but I also adore Michael's story. It's tragic on so many levels, and the character is played so beautifully that it's impossible to resist that angle as well.

But as far as the overall concept works - I think watching Vito's story is far more entertaining.
Posted By: Joe_College

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/12/10 09:14 PM

I voted for Michael's story, because it is by far one of the most thrilling stories i have ever seen. Business changed Michael from a somehow nice guy in the GF to a coldhearted ruthless murderer. Michael's story is so ambiguous, because there were so many alternatives to the decisions he took. Vito's story in GF2 is somehow unidimensional, he just did, what he had to do.

And yes, I agree, Vito's story is far more entertaining. The entertaining character is due to Vito's rise which is illustrated by the soft-focus-effect (and partly by the sepia-coloured filter) as well as the music, which i recall to some extent vivace.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/13/10 08:15 PM

When I saw the film for the first time I would have chosen for the flashbacks, because I'm always interested in the background. But now I will go for Michael's story in the 50s for the same reasons as already mentioned.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: GF2 - the 50s or the flashbacks - 07/14/10 05:04 PM

I gotta go with the flashbacks. But I realize they are just complimentary to Mike's story. But you really can't have one without the other, IMO.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET