Home

The Importance of Deleted Scenes?

Posted By: Mr. Blonde

The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/06/09 05:46 PM

I've seen quite a few posters enhance their points by citing deleted scenes. My question is should they be given the same significance as actual movie scenes?

I typically consider only what is in the movies canon, with deleted scenes (and the book for that matter) evidence of what Coppola/Puzo's mindset may have been regarding certain things but not canon. I figure if it wasn't part of the final cut, it isn't canon, pure and simple. It isn't up to me to speculate why those scenes were omitted; time constraints, artistic vision, etc.

Ultimately, it does come down to the individual's opinion. For those who disagree with me, I would like to see the logic behind your perspective.

(I also frequently try to pretend GFIII did not occur but begrudgingly will acknowledge it is canon ohwell )
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/06/09 06:15 PM

I draw a distinction between deleted scenes and earlier script treatments. I use info from the deleted scenes in my posts because FFC not only filmed them, but they were included in the "Saga" versions (chronological order) that were released on VHS and are frequently shown on cable TV. I don't cite the earlier script treatments because those themes were abandoned.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/06/09 06:27 PM

I agree w/ TB about earlier (or draft) script scenes and always have...if they were not filmed then they are nothing more than abandoned ideas.

Deleted scenes are quite a different thing. While some are fun time fillers, many of them add depth and background to already terrific stories/sequences. I could name quite a few and so could others, I bet.

In many cases, the only reasons they were not used in the theatrical releases are due to editing/time restraints. Especially in the case of 'The Godfather', where success was not yet guaranteed.

If the deleted scenes used in the Saga weren't 'canon', then they would not have been included by Coppola.

Apple
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/06/09 09:51 PM

I also lament the failure to include deleted scenes in the original theatrical releases. For example, had such scenes concerning Manolo the Corleone's landscaper been included, it would have lent itself to a better understanding of the protagonists' motivations and reasoning. I also think that Puzo's failure to include Manolo's narrative and dialogue in his novel was a miscue.
Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/09/09 11:53 PM

I'm not the most familiar with the Saga, have only seen it once or twice during holidays. Are all of the deleted scenes on the box set included on it? I remember seeing only Vito's meeting of a young Roth and Kay's praying the rosary when I saw the Saga years ago. (Other scenes, like the visit to Genco and Tom seeing Woltz's teen lover, I remember only from the book.)

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/10/09 01:12 AM

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray boxed sets have an extras disc that contains all the deleted scenes that Paramount has released, organized in time sequence. They total about 45 min. Of course, watching them separately is not nearly as effective as watching them in the "Saga" version, where they're integated into the narrative where they belong.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/10/09 03:43 PM

IMHO some of the deleted scenes could have stayed deleted, however one that should have been left in was the scene in GFII when Michael finally takes his revenge on Fabrizzio.

I dont think the Genco death/hospital scene, or the Mike and Kay romping in bed scene were necessary.

I somewhat liked the scene in which Sonny's daughter and her fiance come to Michael to ask permission to marry. It showed a human side of Michael.
Posted By: northstar

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/10/09 07:23 PM

I thought the Genco death scene was quite touching in a way and it showed another dimension of Vito's and Michael relationship.

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/11/09 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
IMHO some of the deleted scenes could have stayed deleted, however one that should have been left in was the scene in GFII when Michael finally takes his revenge on Fabrizzio.

As you know, there's yet another version of the Fab revenge scene in which Michael personally dispatches Fab with a lupara. That one was filmed (Lebo's book has stills) but was never released in any form. I'd give my left coglione to see that one.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/11/09 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
... It showed a human side of Michael.

There were plenty of scenes showing 'a human side of Michael' that remained in the film(s). People seem to focus more on other things, though.

Anyway, there was once a thread where people were asked to name some of their 'favorite' deleted scenes, and/or those they wished had not ended up deleted.

Mine was that of Bonasera preparing to meet with Vito at his request following Sonny's death. Absolutely dreading what Don Corleone is about to request of him and cursing the day his wife and Mrs. Corleone became friends...
Posted By: Danito

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/11/09 10:17 AM

My favorite deleted scene is Sonny walking around the house aimlessly. It shows Caan as a terrific actor. Anyway, it's good that it was not included in the film, it would have destroyed the rhythm.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Importance of Deleted Scenes? - 11/24/09 04:22 PM

Deleted scenes in the FFC canon are very critical, and IMHO a lot of things that were cut out of the Godfather movies should have stayed in, and my guess is the studio made him cut scenes for the sake of shortening these relatively long movies.

How important? See Apocalype Now Redux which includes several deleted scenes, including an entire section devoted to a post colonial French family living in the jungle and refusing to leave. There is no question that this version, released by FFC a few years ago is far superior to the original.

BTW note that in Apocalypse Now FFC used some of the same actors he used in the GF films including Brando, Duvall and
the guy who played Sen. Geary (he was a General).
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET