Home

How did real life mafia judge the GF?

Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 10:26 AM

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Organized crime real life forum...anyway this is a topic I'm hugely curious about and I'm sure that if real mafia somehow let it know how they did perceive the movie and the impact it had on the audience, the GF gurus in the BBs know it. smile
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 06:13 PM

I'm far from an expert, but I believe that there were maffiosi who tought the film was very 'cool'. They wanted to be like Vito, Santino, ... And acted like them.

Somewhere in the seventies, a powerful maffiaboss had a trial in Sicily. He had seen The GF, and when he was in the courtroom he acted totally like Vito Corleone. He pulled his lip up, he mumbeld, and did all kinds of slow Vito-handgestures...
Posted By: svsg

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 06:18 PM

I read somewhere that a lot of mafia people were around in the sets (those shot around the streets) when the film was being made. I am not talking about the big guys here, they were the street level operators. They were happy that a film glorifying them was being made and many of them went to watch the movie. But they realized that once the shooting was done, all their celebrity status was lost. I don't remember where I read this, it was actually an old review. Written around the time when the movie was released. I vaguely remember that someone on this boards posted a link to that. Not sure...
Posted By: juventus

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
I'm far from an expert, but I believe that there were maffiosi who tought the film was very 'cool'. They wanted to be like Vito, Santino, ... And acted like them.

Somewhere in the seventies, a powerful maffiaboss had a trial in Sicily. He had seen The GF, and when he was in the courtroom he acted totally like Vito Corleone. He pulled his lip up, he mumbeld, and did all kinds of slow Vito-handgestures...
Yes you are right, it was Luciano Liggio.

All mafiosi i read about liked it, they said it was very real. Nino Calderone (an informer in Sicily) told in his book that every guy in his family (around 30 people) read the book and saw the movie..
Posted By: Louigie Mollinari

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 06:35 PM

As far as I know, in Russia every criminal with an authority among mob, every criminal who is able to read, have aready read this book...
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 07:09 PM

GF was wildly popular among real Mafiosi. FBI and other law enforcement who were bugging mobsters picked up many conversations about the film--all of them admiring--and caught mob guys and wannabees talking like people in the film.
As you probably know, Joe Columbo muscled Paramount to delete references to "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra." In return, he gave the crew lots of cooperation during filming. He also let James Caan follow around some of his gang to study their ways. Caan mimicked Carmine (the Snake) Persico, who was then a Columbo capo. The FBI, which didn't know Caan, for a time had him listed as a new Columbo "made guy."
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 07:23 PM

Mafia did like the movie and thought it was best film yet to portray the life of a mobster. Henry Hill was amazed by the film, and it was only movie, He enjoyed as usually he wouldn't be able to stand watching such a lengthy movie, as he's always on the move.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/18/05 09:20 PM

Though he wasn't cosa nostra, Saddam Hussein's favorite movie is The Godfather. It's kind of interesting...

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/19/05 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
As you probably know, Joe Columbo muscled Paramount to delete references to "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra." In return, he gave the crew lots of cooperation during filming. He also let James Caan follow around some of his gang to study their ways. Caan mimicked Carmine (the Snake) Persico, who was then a Columbo capo. The FBI, which didn't know Caan, for a time had him listed as a new Columbo "made guy."
WOW!!! I didn't know it, Turnbull!!! It's incredible, isn't it? eek lol

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/19/05 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Tony Love:
Though he wasn't cosa nostra, Saddam Hussein's favorite movie is The Godfather. It's kind of interesting...
Yeah...and kind of disturbing as well.... rolleyes

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/19/05 08:15 AM

Originally posted by juventus:
[b] Somewhere in the seventies, a powerful maffiaboss had a trial in Sicily. He had seen The GF, and when he was in the courtroom he acted totally like Vito Corleone. He pulled his lip up, he mumbeld, and did all kinds of slow Vito-handgestures...
[/b]
OMG, it must have been a lot of fun.... lol
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/19/05 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
Originally posted by juventus:
[b]
[b] Somewhere in the seventies, a powerful maffiaboss had a trial in Sicily. He had seen The GF, and when he was in the courtroom he acted totally like Vito Corleone. He pulled his lip up, he mumbeld, and did all kinds of slow Vito-handgestures...
[/b]
OMG, it must have been a lot of fun.... lol [/b]
Yeah, it sure was. One of the most powerful criminals of Italy, was about to be convicted and put in jail for 3000 years. What a great atmosphere must have been there... grin
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/19/05 07:59 PM

I guess he figured he might as well go out on a lighter note. No matter how ruthless or bloodthirsty he was, people were always going to remember him as "That goofball who did the Brando impression at his trial." Great. rolleyes
Posted By: Frank Pentangely

Re: How did real life mafia judge the GF? - 10/22/05 03:51 AM

_The Rodriguez Cartel, In Cali (Colombia) maked every member of their family to watch The Godfather at list 25 times.

_Pablo Escobar belived the only real Gang Lord was Don Vito Corleone.

They where not maffiosi, but gangsters... Anyhow.

Ta ta...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET