Home

What scene made you cry?

Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 02:07 PM

Obviously, the ending of GF3 when Michael remembers the old happy times while he cries for Mary`s death and when Michael dies.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 02:21 PM

I don't thing any scene of any Godfather movie has actually brought me to tears. Only one that I think of as truly sad but never 'cried' over... Tom's informing Vito of Sonny's death and then the visit to Bonasera immediately afterward ("Look how they massacred my boy....").

Of course, they do seem to set up lots in GFIII to try and choke up the audience. Such as Michael's breaking down during confession AND his silent scream after Mary's death.

Apple
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 02:22 PM

The credits rolling. It meant the end of the movie. frown wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 02:27 PM

Sorry folks no tears here and I cry easily. Some people may say that any scene Sofia Coppola was in would bring you to tears. tongue
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 03:06 PM

I too have never actually cried when watching one of these films, the only movies that can still do that to me are Forrest Gump and the Shawshank Redemption.

But I would say the scene that hit me hardest emotionally was either Mike's silent scream at the end of GFIII, or the Hailmary prayer at the end of PtII.

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 03:46 PM

Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
... or the Hailmary prayer at the end of PtII.
Oh...you mean the one where Fredo was merely trying to catch a fish and had no clue he was about to die???

I remember that one wink !!

Apple

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 04:09 PM

Ok Apple, I've remained silent on this issue long enough.

Tell me why you really think that Fredo knew that it was all over for him?

Don Cardi cool

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 05:11 PM

If you look at the behavior, the demeanor of Fredo in just about every scene throughout BOTH films, what you see is a sniveling, spineless, shallow misfit of a human being. A nice guy, sure. But sniveling/spineless/shallow nonetheless.

The only times Fredo generates even a hint of maturity is when he's with his nephew, Anthony. Figures...the kid is 8 years old.

Now, what would make anyone think that a person like that would, upon realizing the end was near...suddenly attain a serene acceptance of his fate and bravely say a Hail Mary while he awaited the final blow.

Not Fredo. Not possible.

He didn't know.

Apple

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 05:35 PM

confused So you agree that he didn't know? Ok, than It must have been SB who feels that he knew.

SB, then tell me, what makes you feel this way?

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: plawrence

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 05:48 PM

I agree that Fredo didn't know, but for different reasons.

If he did know, then you have to ask when did he know?

What conditions changed while he was out on the lake that would have suddenly made him know that didn't exist before he got into the boat in the first place?

And by getting into the boat in the first place, he was clearly demonstrating that he didn't know what was coming.

As dumb as he was, if he know that he was about to embark on a one-way fishing trip with Al, he would have made some excuse right on the spot and not gone.

And given the the fact that Connie was standing right there, it's doubtful that Neri would have killed him right on the spot.

By calling Anthony away at the last minute, it is clear that Michael's plan was for Neri to have Fredo make his final cast out in the middle of the lake with no witnesses.

So if Fredo would have begged off before leaving, the plan would have been put on hold.

But by getting into the boat, Fredo was is showing us that he thought he was simply going fishing and had no idea what was coming.

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 05:53 PM

I don't believe for one moment that Fredo knew.

But we never were able to finish the discussion at dinner that night, and I would like to hear Sicilian Babe's point of view regarding why she feels that Fredo did know.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 06:21 PM

I do believe that Fredo knew. He could not have believed that Al was going to take him on a simple witness-free fishing trip. And why did he get in the boat? I believe that he had accepted his fate as such, and was willing to die for what he did.

1. Michael had become his whole life. He lived on the estate, had no wife, had no kids. He was everything that his father wasn't. He had no life except that which his brother offered him.

2. I believe, as you can see from his facial expressions during the "drink" in Havana, that he was wracked with guilt for what he had done. I think that part of him was willing to accept the punishment for his betrayal.
Posted By: TonyD

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 07:30 PM

I didn't find any scenes very emotional either.

However the scene for Vito's birthday where they show Sonny's reflection in the window, and then you see all the old faces around the table who were actually dead and gone ... That was one scene that really plugged in to a very sweet but sad, sentimental feeling for me. I think it was because I miss my big Italian family who are also now mostly all dead and gone too. All just memories now.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 07:53 PM

That's a good question really. I never thought about it, but trying to remember my first couple viewings, I too can't think of any scene that made me cry.

However, in my first viewing, I felt sorry and surprised when Fredo joined the fish. frown

TIS
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 08:10 PM

Appollonia, Kay, Mary.

Michael thinking back, dying.
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 08:45 PM

no scene has made me bawl or anything, but for sure the ending of part 3 brought one tear to my eye. it was a great scene...with al making it believable.

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
... I believe that he had accepted his fate as such, and was willing to die for what he did.

1. Michael had become his whole life. He lived on the estate, had no wife, had no kids. He was everything that his father wasn't. He had no life except that which his brother offered him.

2. I believe, as you can see from his facial expressions during the "drink" in Havana, that he was wracked with guilt for what he had done. I think that part of him was willing to accept the punishment for his betrayal.
All these reasons are great except that you are seeing the situation from the POV of an intelligent person. Fredo was not an intelligent person.

Yes, Michael was his whole life and that's why he was content to live out his days under Mike's wing at the Tahoe estate, having been 'forgiven' for what he did. That does NOT mean that he would be willing to accept the punishment of death, even if ordered by his treasured kid brother.

Yes, he clearly felt guilty during the 'drink' chat in Havana. That does not mean that if discovered to have been THE TRAITOR, he would have been willing to accept punishment. If that were the case, he would not have run away from Michael TWICE on New Year's Eve. If he was not able to behave like a man then, then he would not have behaved like a man had he known what was about to happen on the fishing boat.

And of course he thought Neri was simply going to take him fishing. Neri was going to take him and Anthony fishing wasn't he? One can assume the three of them had been on previous fishing trips. No reason to assume that they shouldn't go fishing anyway, even though Anthony this time was called away to go to Reno with his father.

Also...dumb as Fredo was, he was (hopefully) at least bright enough to know that he would no longer have any part in the Family Business. So I don't feel a 'witness free' fishing trip on the lake would at that point be anything that would cause him alarm. He'd already been forgiven by his brother so in his mind there was no longer anything to fear or cause his guard to be up.

He didn't know.

Apple
Posted By: Frank Pentangely

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 09:47 PM

Actually, buddys, I never cry... But Vito´s dead made a pity esception in my rule...
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 10:26 PM

grin I so much agree with Don Cardi!

"The credits rolling It ment the end of the movie" This was one story I never wanted to see end!
IMO The Best Ever Made
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/03/05 11:05 PM

I didn't cry from any scene in The Godfather films. Most touching scenes to me was Michael and Vito talking in the garden, and how Vito didn't want this life for him. Anothony saying how he wanted to help his father and go with him on the business trip in Godfather Part II. Godfather Part III I was sad by the fact of Mary's death and how Michael tried to redeem himself, but it was too late and he lost everything dear to him.
Posted By: svsg

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 02:11 AM

Some of the touching scenes for me are:
1)Michael hugging Fredo at his mother's funeral while looking at Neri
2)GF3, michael recollecting appolonia when Anthony sings
3)Michael realizing the lie behind the mis-carriage.
4)The biggest of all - Hail Mary scene.
Posted By: don illuminati

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 03:39 AM

Nothing in the movies brings me to tears, but I get a feeling of melancholy at the end of GF2, when we see Michael sitting alone, having lost or killed or forced away nearly everyone close to him.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 01:34 PM

Again The ending of GF3 made me quite emotional the first couple of times i seen it,very sad ending smile

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 02:48 PM

I told you, the sadest part is the ending of the GF3 remembering Apollonia, Kay, Mary, the old good times after Mary`s death, Michael screaming for pain, Michael dying. Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni was a very good choice to this sad ending, the music and the scene are one...
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 04:58 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
If you look at the behavior, the demeanor of Fredo in just about every scene throughout BOTH films, what you see is a sniveling, spineless, shallow misfit of a human being. A nice guy, sure. But sniveling/spineless/shallow nonetheless.

The only times Fredo generates even a hint of maturity is when he's with his nephew, Anthony. Figures...the kid is 8 years old.

Now, what would make anyone think that a person like that would, upon realizing the end was near...suddenly attain a serene acceptance of his fate and bravely say a Hail Mary while he awaited the final blow.

Not Fredo. Not possible.

He didn't know.

Apple
Apple, don't be so shy. State your opinion with firmness.
wink
Posted By: JustMe

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 05:45 PM

I always cry, sometimes more than there's a reason to, but GF3 certainly was an exception: I didn't know whether to cry or laugh, and definitely not because something touched me, but because of it's general stupidity.
If you need a peculiar scene - OK, let it be "my future" flashback.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 07:33 PM

As a mother, Mary's death gets me every time. After recently rewatching the film, I realized that I have focused so much on Pacino's acting in that scene, that I have done a disservice to Diane Keaton's. Her expression of grief was incredible.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/04/05 09:22 PM

yeah, the camera mostly focuses on Pacino, but Diane Keaton definetly does show her fine talent of acting in the scene breaking down.
Posted By: Don Chater

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/10/05 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Obviously, the ending of GF3 when Michael remembers the old happy times while he cries for Mary`s death and when Michael dies.
What got me was Michaels roll in crying when Mary died. That was unbelievable...

The memories you are speaking of are of happy times, no doubt. BUT, the memories are also about the 3 women he's always loved and how he's lost the women he loved throughout his life. He failed, as his goal was to protect his family and loved ones and not to lose them.

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/10/05 03:02 PM

Right point Don Chater
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/10/05 08:55 PM

I've never cried through thye Godfather but the part where Vito is talking to micheal about the stirngs I thought was pretty touching

I cried when Aspanu murdered Salvatore Giuliano in "The Sicilian"...No joke it made such an impression on me I was on a plane reading if for the second time and tears just came to my eyes....I'm such a pussface

[Linked Image]
Joe Batters
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/11/05 11:30 AM

Basically I am a crier. I love to cry when I'm watching a movie! grin To be honest, the more I cry the more I enjoy the movie! lol I've cried my a@@ off even watching B-movies, with no other quality than being tear jerkers. Nonetheless, I think I never cried watching the trilogy. There have of course been very poignant scenes, the first coming to mind is the one when Michael confesses his sins to Cardinal Lamberto. Oh, and the one in GF2 when the immigrants approaching NYC port, see the Liberty Statue for the first time. I remember I got shivers then. But no tears. Never. I wonder why. confused
Posted By: julioclaudio

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/11/05 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Amen. And the song is fabulous in these scenes: (Pietro Mascagni Intermezzo Sinfonico From Cavalleria Rusticana)
Posted By: Cristina's Way

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/17/05 01:11 AM

I also don't believe I cried while watching any of the Godfather films. But that doesn't mean it lacked scenes that were deeply emotional or heartbreaking. I think the first two Godfathers are films that appeal to both heart and mind. I may not have cried while watching them, but the scenes that got to me linger longer and have a greater resonance and complexity than those I've seen in most other movies -- particularly the average Hollywood fare that employs intense but fleeting emotion to generate viewer reaction.

The scene that got to me the most, hands down, is the hug between Michael and Fredo during Mamma's funeral. And it's more saddening with repeat viewings because you know what's coming next. Fredo believes he's forgiven and back in the fold, while Michael gives the silent signal to his brother's executioner.

The end of Part II, Michael alone with his memories, was also heavy with melancholy. The moral nexus of the film, it elevated the Godfather movies to the level of classic tragedy.

I also felt sad at the end of Part III when Michael died alone, albeit it was a decidedly tainted sadness. It arose less from the scene itself as an event within the film and more from a wistful nostalgia for 1972 & 1974 and the mastery of The Godfather and Godfather Part II, which are, alas, never to be repeated. How did the filmmakers think they could top the ending of Part II for sheer tragic imagery? I mean, yeesh, did they have to have Michael keel over like a keystone cop in a silent movie? You'd think he was dead already, rigor had set in, and the wind just knocked him over.

Yes, Part III makes me sad, not for what's in the film (well, not for the most part) but for memories of what was and what could have been. If only Part III introduced talented unknowns who would go on to become today's great actors. If only Al Pacino could look exactly the same as he did in 1972 and 1974. (If only we could all pick a time when we looked and felt our best and remain that way throughout the years. *Sigh * why do things have to change?) And if only the Academy Award committee would discover an error made in the vote-counting of 1974 which reveals that Pacino actually did win the Oscar that year.

So while Part III didn't make me cry, if I think about it too much it sure does make me depressed. frown [Linked Image]
Posted By: svsg

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/17/05 01:23 AM

Great post Christina, I agree that thinking about what could have been done makes one depressed.
Posted By: Louigie Mollinari

Re: What scene made you cry? - 10/18/05 06:41 PM

2 moments^

when Fredo taught Anthony fishing

when Vito had been buying fruits
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET