Home

Is Tessio Giving A Signal?

Posted By: dontomasso

Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/20/05 05:20 PM

After Tessio and Mike have their little talk at the Don's funeral, Tessio walks toward Barzini, and he makes this gesture where he pulls on his lapel. It looks to me like it is a signal to Barzini that things went accoring to plan. A moment later he is over with Barzini getting his cigarette lit, and he has to know Mike is seeing that, however he would have to be careful not to give away that he and Barzini were in cahoots for his plan to work. Thoughts?
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/20/05 05:39 PM

I always thought of that gesture as some sort of a signal to Barzini or one of his men.

Yes, he'd normally have to be careful not to do that while in Michael's line of vision...but remember, he has no idea that Michael is on to him from the moment he proposes the 'meeting' on his territory (thanks to that last conversation with Vito).

Apple
Posted By: The Dr. who fixed Lucy

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/20/05 10:48 PM

Why would Tessio use a visual signal (for anyone to see) when he is inches away from Emile's earhole and could give an oral signal (in code, obviously) that only he would hear?

For example, if Mike had declined, he could have said "Think it might rain today" and since Mike accepted, have said "Good to see the weather held up".
Posted By: svsg

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/21/05 02:19 PM

Originally posted by dontomasso:
After Tessio and Mike have their little talk at the Don's funeral, Tessio walks toward Barzini, and he makes this gesture where he pulls on his lapel. It looks to me like it is a signal to Barzini that things went accoring to plan. A moment later he is over with Barzini getting his cigarette lit, and he has to know Mike is seeing that, however he would have to be careful not to give away that he and Barzini were in cahoots for his plan to work. Thoughts?
I too think that Tessio was indicating that the job went on well. But, had Vito not warned michael about a potential traitor, that indication itself could not be interpreted as anything dangerous, even if it were done in front of michael. After all, Tessio is the person whom Barzini approached. So Tessio naturally had to tell him whether or not michael agreed to the plan, notwithstanding the fact that the plan was actually to kill michael.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/21/05 02:35 PM

Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
Why would Tessio use a visual signal (for anyone to see) when he is inches away from Emile's earhole and could give an oral signal (in code, obviously) that only he would hear?

For example, if Mike had declined, he could have said "Think it might rain today" and since Mike accepted, have said "Good to see the weather held up".
For me personally, if I was to see someone whispering in someone's ear it would be MORE OBVIOUS that something is going on that people shouldn't hear.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/21/05 02:41 PM

I don't recall Tessio and his lapel. I'll have to look at the movie again. But, it could just have been an idle gesture. I do recall that Tessio goes right up to Barzini, takes his hand, and apparently talks to him. If he does that, why use a remote signal?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/21/05 02:48 PM

Why would secrecy and signals be necessasy?

Tessio speaks to Mike about the meeting, then goes back to Barzini and confirms that Mike is OK with the idea.

Everything on the up and up.

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/21/05 02:53 PM

Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:

The signal was fairly inocuous and Michael could not have seen it because Tessio was facing the Barzini Group when he gave it.

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/22/05 05:29 PM

I watched that scene in the GF again and it appears to be just an idle adjustment of Tessio's tie and suit - nothing more.
Posted By: BarrytheBull

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/22/05 08:22 PM

Could be a nervous gesture.....he must have been very nervous setting up his life long friends son.....at his funeral none the less. lol.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/22/05 08:39 PM

He's giving a signal. No doubt about it.

wink

Apple
Posted By: BarrytheBull

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/22/05 08:41 PM

blush blush blush blush blush blush
lol
Posted By: SlimTrashman

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/24/05 07:42 PM

in my opinion, this part of the dons funeral is the weakest part of the trilogy, by far! No way would Tessio just walk up and start talking to Barzini if tessions were high. Tessio was the Dons right hand man, to talk to Barzini would be disrespect
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/24/05 10:01 PM

A far more obvious and meaningful signal by Tessio came earlier:
In the scene in the Don's study, when Michael's sitting behind the desk, the caporegimes are complaining about losing territories to the other families while the Don is regarding his tropical fish. Finally, the Don turns to his caporegimes and says, "Do you trust my judgment?" "Always, Godfather," replies Clemenza, fervently. But Tessio barely ekes out a hissing "Yes-s-s-s." His lack of enthusiasm is really palpable. The seed of Tessio's betrayal was planted right then and there, IMO.

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/25/05 01:04 AM

It's funny how in the novel it says that Vito relied on Tessio more than anyone. Yet in the movie and the novel, it is Clemenza who everyone turns to the most.

It would seem that preparing for negotiations at the Don's funeral is unseemly. But, apparently, funerals, weddings, etc. are where alot of business is conducted by these guys.

By the way, "Gotti" is on HBO right now.

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/25/05 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
A far more obvious and meaningful signal by Tessio came earlier:
In the scene in the Don's study, when Michael's sitting behind the desk, the caporegimes are complaining about losing territories to the other families while the Don is regarding his tropical fish. Finally, the Don turns to his caporegimes and says, "Do you trust my judgment?" "Always, Godfather," replies Clemenza, fervently. But Tessio barely ekes out a hissing "Yes-s-s-s." His lack of enthusiasm is really palpable. The seed of Tessio's betrayal was planted right then and there, IMO.
You are correct TB, but there is another visual cue in the same scene. Observe that when Tessio shakes hands with Michael, he does so with his LEFT hand.

Re: Is Tessio Giving A Signal? - 07/25/05 06:11 PM

Tessio also walks out of the meeting hurriedly and I don't think he even shakes Vito's hand on the way out. I think he was really upset.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET