Home

Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy?

Posted By: plawrence

Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 10:20 AM

I mean, I always found her to be rather overweight and not very pretty.

For a one-time fling at Connie's wedding, OK. But as a full-time mistress?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 10:30 AM

Plaw, refresh my memory. We know that Lucy craved Sonny because he was able to satisfy her due to his generous manhood, but isn't there something in the book that addresses Sonny enjoying Lucy because of her being one of the few woman that he did not have to "take it easy" with because of her being able to handle his size?

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 10:49 AM

Sometimes guys just like a bit of rough. Maybe she had a good 'personality'. Or as Cardi said, although in a nicer way, her bucket could handle him.

You're right Plaw, she wasn't very pretty - especially compared to his wife who was quite attractive. And as a wiseguy who probably could get more pretty sluts he could have done better.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
isn't there something in the book that addresses Sonny enjoying Lucy because of her being one of the few woman that he did not have to "take it easy" with because of her being able to handle his size?
I just looked through the book and couldn't find a passage like the one you describe, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Perhaps JustMe will help us out. I think she has the book pretty much memorized.

But it certainly makes sense, and even if the book doesn't spell it out, that's sound reasoning on your part, DC.

Which just goes to prove that "Looks aren't everything."

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 11:48 AM

Originally posted by plawrence:
But it certainly makes sense, and even if the book doesn't spell it out, that's sound reasoning on your part, DC.

Which just goes to prove that "Looks aren't everything."
And that sometimes "SIZE" does matter! lol

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 01:19 PM

I don't know, but to me she looked much more attractive in her slip, from the "save it for the liberry" scene, than she did in her bridesmaid's dress. Although Sonny could've had other women (and there's nothing to say that he didn't), maybe she was convenient. She was a friend of the familly, so they knew one another beforehand. She knew what he was, she knew that he was married, she was very undemanding, and, according to the book, she adored him. Adoration can go a long way.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
to me she looked much more attractive in her slip, from the "save it for the liberry" scene, than she did in her bridesmaid's dress.
Very true. She had kind of a "pouty" look in that scene.

And I can't say that I've ever seen any woman look good in a bridemaids dress.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 01:40 PM

I think I remember reading in the book that the reason Sonny was so attracted to Lucy was because she had that "old-world Sicilian" look, where as Sandra was far more American-ized.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 01:49 PM

DC is correct there was some mention in the book about Lucy being able to "handle" Sonny's manhood. Besides maybe Sonny liked 'em a little on the plump side...you know, tons of fun and all that.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
[b] to me she looked much more attractive in her slip, from the "save it for the liberry" scene, than she did in her bridesmaid's dress.
Very true. She had kind of a "pouty" look in that scene.

And I can't say that I've ever seen any woman look good in a bridemaids dress. [/b]
God, that's so true!! And I've had to wear a ton of them over the years! Ruffles, bows, poofy skirts, and so on. However, in Lucy's case, I think what was under the gown was more important to Sonny. wink
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 03:02 PM

According to the book, Lucy had two affairs in college that didn't do anything for her. Her second lover complained about her being "too big down there." She was Connie's best friend. While hanging around Connie, she heard Sonny's wife describing his size. Lucy got the idea that Sonny could accommodate her--that he would be the one man who wouldn't be put off by her own size. And the affair was convenient while she was hanging around Connie.
As for Sonny: He was probably attracted by Lucy coming on to him--it'd appeal to his machismo. The novel doesn't say that a) Lucy was fat; b) that she was his exclusive extra-marital squeeze; or c) that he made it with her after the wedding, although we might infer that from her yearning after Sonny after his death. The NYC liaison with Lucy was a creation of the film, and merely served to make a transition to Sonny's beating of Carlo.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
The novel doesn't say that....he made it with her after the wedding
Uh-oh. Turnbull is slipping. I hope it's not from some comedy he's playing with a young girl.

Sure it says they made it after the wedding.

P. 239, 30th anniversary edition, the scene before he goes to see Connie, sees how Carlo has beaten her up, and goes and beats Carlo up....

Sonny Corleone had left the protection of the mall and spent the night with Lucy Mancini in town

P. 302, when we are introduced to Dr. Jules for the first time....

Sonny had visited her once a week, sometimes more, never less

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 03:52 PM

a) According to the book, Lucy had two affairs in college that didn't do anything for her. Her second lover complained about her being "too big down there." She was Connie's best friend. While hanging around Connie, she heard Sonny's wife describing his size. Lucy got the idea that Sonny could accommodate her--that he would be the one man who wouldn't be put off by her own size. And the affair was convenient while she was hanging around Connie.
As for Sonny: He was probably attracted by Lucy coming on to him--it'd appeal to his machismo. The novel doesn't say that Lucy was fat; b) that she was his exclusive extra-marital squeeze; or c) that he made it with her after the wedding, although we might infer that from her yearning after Sonny after his death. The NYC liaison with Lucy was a creation of the film, and merely served to make a transition to Sonny's beating of Carlo.
I doubt she was Sonny's only extramarital squeeze. In the film, anyway, Sonny tells Teresa to "watch the kids," and she warns him to "watch yourself." Obviously she knew of Sonny's proclivities.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 03:58 PM

As proven by the guy who married the bearded lady...looks aren't everything!!

By the way, plawrence...I have express admiration for the way you seem to be initiating topics today. One would almost think you're making a concerted effort to drum up relevant discussion !

Best,
Apple

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 04:01 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
By the way, plawrence...I have express admiration for the way you seem to be initiating topics today. One would almost think you're making a concerted effort to drum up relevant discussion !
As opposed to...... rolleyes confused

What? Defending my love of the Gangster BB against the nattering nabobs of negativity?

But I suppose coming from you I just received high praise. wink tongue
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 04:08 PM

[QUOTE]..I suppose coming from you I just received high praise.
Actually...yes you just did !!

Apple

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 04:12 PM

Uh-oh. Turnbull is slipping. I hope it's not from some comedy he's playing with a young girl.

Nah Plaw, sometimes I think Turnbull "intentionally" makes these mistakes so that he can see if the rest of us are staying on top of our game! wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 06:01 PM

Perhaps JustMe will help us out. I think she has the book pretty much memorized.
You flatter me, Plaw. wink
(BTW, where's your input in the quotation game???)
The description of their relationship with Lucy is in chapter 22, it never says something like that exactly, just that it was a "lusty passion for each other."
Book never says too that she was not good looking. In the end there's a passage in which Fontane sort of admires her looks.
And there's one more mention about the comedy he was playing - when they meet with the Don before meeting Solozzo. Tom looks at his sleepless appearance and thinks "He must be humping that maid of honor still."
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 07:12 PM

[b]The novel doesn't say that....he made it with her after the wedding

[/b]
Some of us read the Wall Street Journal every day, others read the gossip columns in the Post and Duh Noose... rolleyes
Posted By: olivant

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 10:50 PM

There's no accounting for taste!
Posted By: SC

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 05/31/05 11:32 PM

Originally posted by olivant:
There's no accounting for taste!
And Lucy had no taste for accounting. (She preferred doctors). lol
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 12:03 AM

Now Vito knew Sonny was cheating with this girl right? Does anyone else think that Vito looked down on Sonny for this?

DS

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 12:45 AM

I don't think that Vito looked down at Sonny for his infidelity. I think that he was dissapointed in Sonny's behavior, but he would not look down on him for it.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 12:50 AM

I think it went beyond mere disappointment. I think Vito was angry at Sonny for his involvement with her. He makes his displeasure apparent, and when he's angry at Sonny for the slip-up during the Sollozzo meeting, he even reprimands him in front of others. I'm sure that Vito wouldn't have normally done that to his heir apparent unless he was already pretty angry at Sonny.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 12:56 AM

Remember in GF2 when the young Vito is at the play with I think Tessio and Tessio's girlfriend is on stage and Tessio says to Vito "Look at her isn't she beautiful" and Vito says to him, "Yes she is, but their is only one woman for me." Vito was very dedicated to his wife and his marriage. I think Vito looked down at Sonny for not being faithful to his wife. Vito knew Sonny was cheating on his wife at his daughters wedding and I think he was very upset with Sonny for this.

DS

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Don Smitty:
Remember in GF2 when the young Vito is at the play with I think Tessio and Tessio's girlfriend is on stage and Tessio says to Vito "Look at her isn't she beautiful" and Vito says to him, "Yes she is, but their is only one woman for me." Vito was very dedicated to his wife and his marriage. I think Vito looked down at Sonny for not being faithful to his wife. Vito knew Sonny was cheating on his wife at his daughters wedding and I think he was very upset with Sonny for this.

DS
There is no question that Vito was very upset with Sonny for his bedroom antics. Vito was an old fashioned husband and a dedicated husband. I think that there were many reasons why Vito was so dedicated to his wife. Being a young boy who lost his father, brother and then his mother, he appreciated family and held family values in very high esteem. But to say that he "looked down" on Sonny is pretty harsh. Being a parent yourself, think about it; if your child does something that you don't approve of and feel that they have done wrong, you NEVER "look down" on your child. you may get angry, sad and dissapointed, but you wouldn't look down on them.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 01:10 AM

[b] Remember in GF2 when the young Vito is at the play with I think Tessio and Tessio's girlfriend is on stage and Tessio says to Vito "Look at her isn't she beautiful" and Vito says to him, "Yes she is, but their is only one woman for me." Vito was very dedicated to his wife and his marriage. I think Vito looked down at Sonny for not being faithful to his wife. Vito knew Sonny was cheating on his wife at his daughters wedding and I think he was very upset with Sonny for this.

DS
There is no question that Vito was very upset with Sonny for his bedroom antics. Vito was an old fashioned husband and a dedicated husband. I think that there were many reasons why Vito was so dedicated to his wife. Being a young boy who lost his father, brother and then his mother, he appreciated family and held family values in very high esteem. But to say that he "looked down" on Sonny is pretty harsh. Being a parent yourself, think about it; if your child does something that you don't approve of and feel that they have done wrong, you NEVER "look down" on your child. you may get angry, sad and dissapointed, but you wouldn't look down on them.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
I Shouldn't have used the word Look Down to describe Vito's feelings toward Sonny, I did mean angry and sad. Just a misunderstanding.. smile

DS
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 01:14 AM

[b] Remember in GF2 when the young Vito is at the play with I think Tessio and Tessio's girlfriend is on stage and Tessio says to Vito "Look at her isn't she beautiful" and Vito says to him, "Yes she is, but their is only one woman for me." Vito was very dedicated to his wife and his marriage. I think Vito looked down at Sonny for not being faithful to his wife. Vito knew Sonny was cheating on his wife at his daughters wedding and I think he was very upset with Sonny for this.

DS

Don Cardi cool [/b]
DC that is something about Vito's character that I didn't like. He was a family man etc.. but his daughter was being abused by her husband and he didn't step in. "You don't get between a husband and wife" or something like that he says to Sonny- that line I really didn't like.

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 01:14 AM

Now you are talking like Luca Brasi when he went in to see Vito! lol lol lol wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 01:27 AM

I would....

Gotta love those big girls. wink
Posted By: Joolsie Cappucetti

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 06/01/05 09:21 PM

Yeah Vito was p*ssed with Sonny about it, I certainly think he disapproved. He felt that it was clouding Sonny's judgement 'I think your brain is going soft,' etc etc and also there's the telling moment when Sonny comes into the office after banging Lucy and Vito glances at him, then says to Johnny: "You spend time with your family? Good. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man". This is directed at Sonny - I don't think Vito was best pleased that he had to send Tom searching for him at Connie's wedding, or that he turned up late in the office when Tom had managed to be there all day.
Posted By: Santino's Girl

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/23/05 02:54 AM

Gotta bear in mind that back then, society was not obsessed with anorexic women. And if you look at paintings done by the great masters, the women were curvy and had some meat on their bones. And what about Marilyn Monroe? The first Playboy centerfold would be considered waaaaaay too pudgy by today's standards.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/23/05 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Santino's Girl:
And what about Marilyn Monroe? The first Playboy centerfold would be considered waaaaaay too pudgy by today's standards.
eek
Posted By: Joolsie Cappucetti

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/23/05 12:45 PM

Too right. Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 in British dress sizes - nobody bigger than a size 8 can get onto magazine covers and into music videos these days.
Posted By: Looking_for_Turi

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/23/05 01:32 PM

Perhaps the taste of men that time was too different from now and I know a lot of men who prefer voluptuous women than the anorexic ones. Also, Lucy tried hard to get Sonny's attention and some men would like it that way. grin
Posted By: Jimmy Buffer

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/23/05 02:39 PM

I think we're missing the biggest issue here. Sure Lucy didn't have the typical body shape that mainstream society would consider perfect or sensual, but that was nothing compared to her nose. I think the fact that each one of her nostrils could "handle" Sonny's manhood is what made her so appealing to him. lol wink

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/26/05 12:53 PM

We just need to suppose Sonny liked girls with junk in the trunk.
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/28/05 08:38 PM

it was just a new broad and she didn't go crazy and tell his wife so i beat that was nice
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/28/05 09:11 PM

Apollonia is so beautiful....I wonder what the lady that played her is doihng right now...

Re: Couldn't Sonny have Done better Than Lucy? - 07/28/05 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Joe Batters:
Apollonia is so beautiful....I wonder what the lady that played her is doihng right now...
Simonetta Stefanelli.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/2210/simona.html

Don Cardi cool
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET