Home

Joe Zasa ?

Posted By: Don Smitty

Joe Zasa ? - 06/24/05 04:14 PM

Is the Joe Zasa character modeled after any real life gangster?

DS
Posted By: greekdude111

Re: Joe Zasa ? - 06/24/05 04:43 PM

i heard he was a mix of colombo and gotti
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Joe Zasa ? - 06/24/05 05:03 PM

Yes, it has been discused that he was a combination of Columbo and Gotti. But I think that he was a combination of Columbo and Joey Gallo.

He, like Columbo had his name all over the publications, and was involved in an Italian Organization ( we see him present Michael with the Maucci award).

We also see him acussed of recruiting blacks and allowing his people to deal in drugs. Then we see him get killed in Little Italy. All similarities to Crazy Joe.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: olivant

Re: Joe Zasa ? - 06/24/05 05:37 PM

It is so interesting the way that Puzo and FFC have synthesized characters from the pool of real life underworld gangsters. I've always maintained that Vito is modeled mostly on Joe Bonnano, Clemenza on Joe Profaci, and Pentangeli on Joe Magliocco. I also think that the Rosato brothers are the Gallo brothers.

You're probably right about Zasa, but I think his recruitment of blacks and puerto ricans models Joey Gallo more than Columbo. Again, both authors may have had a primary model for any one of their characters, but their overall characteristics seem to be drawn from a variety of real life personages.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Joe Zasa ? - 06/24/05 05:48 PM

You misread my post. I did attribute his similarity of dealing drugs and recruiting blacks with the actions of Joe Gallo.

Both Gallo and Columbo were known for getting thier pictures on the covers of chic magazines, etc.

Don Cardi cool
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET