Home

The other ending

Posted By: Zaf-the-don

The other ending - 08/09/07 06:37 PM

After reading the ending that was supposed to take place at the end of part 2, I have to say i perfer the one that took place.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Godfather-Part-II.html

the above link is where i read it from.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The other ending - 08/09/07 07:38 PM

I saw that someplace, but thanks for posting it Zaf. The ending we got was far better.
Posted By: Speedy

Re: The other ending - 08/09/07 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don
After reading the ending that was supposed to take place at the end of part 2, I have to say i perfer the one that took place.

I agree. ;\)
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: The other ending - 08/10/07 01:06 PM

I prefer the one we got as well, but I would love to see the scenes described in the script. Wish they were available.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: The other ending - 08/10/07 04:04 PM

I like this version, but I agree. The one they ended with is much more fitting. Mike's sitting there all alone at the table in the flashback and then he's all alone at the compound. A much colder ending.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: The other ending - 08/10/07 06:24 PM

I liked the other ending
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: The other ending - 08/10/07 08:48 PM

I too wonder if this scene was ever filmed. After all the footage of the Tahoe compound rotting was filmed for the Saga and then used in Part III as well. So I bet there is a different ending out there somewhere.

I'd like to see them come out with a "definitive" edition of these films, with as much deleted footage as they can fit onto it, as well as a version with the Saga on it.

There are so many different ways to re-release these movies it ain't funny... and do it in a fashion that makes it worth the purchase.
Posted By: ErikPflueger

Re: The other ending - 08/11/07 04:30 AM

Well, based on the footage edited back into the Saga, and the stuff edited into the beginning of Part III for television, one thing is certain: there was footage shot on the Kaiser estate, wich doubled for the Corleone compound in the film, that involved Al Pacino and at least one actress, which may or may not be Talia Shire but could simply be a maid or somebody taking away his lunch. Pacino sits, in the slightly-aged makeup, in a chair before a table and several other chairs (seen only in the Part III TV opening), sometimes smoking, sometimes just sitting, deep in thought and fatigued. t appears to be daytime, though the scene as shown in the end of Part II almost looks dark. There are some extras in the distant background, possibly meant to be guards. We don't know who on the crew was present to shoot the footage, but it is certain that Coppola was there.

Seems to me that if there IS a complete DVD release, perhaps an unedited reel of all this footage should be added in its own supplemental section.
Posted By: JMDII

Re: The other ending - 08/21/07 08:42 PM

Think, if Brando hadn't been so greedy this would have been the end of II. I like the one in the film better because no matter what Micheal always seems to end up alone in a sense. This other ending would have fit in well with the early scenes of pt III when Anthony defies Micheal in the study.---This secene was never shot because Brando wanted too much $$$ to do it. There were some artistic diffrences of opinion too.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The other ending - 08/22/07 04:32 PM

This may be sacreligious on my part, but once Brando bowed out, was this scene really necessary? I understand it is meant to end GFII by contrasting the days when the Corleone family was like the Roman Empire with the solitary Michael sitting in the yard, but its really a pretty dumb scene overall. As I have written before it is not believable that Vito could have been sent on a "wild goose chase" by Sonny. The dialogue for the most part is inane...especially Sonny's introduction of Connie to Carlo, and Fredo saying the Japanese didn't know it was Pop's birthday. Also Sonny comes off like a total jerk, sticking his fingers in the cake, fighting with Michael and basically acting like an asshole sitting at the head of the table. Also Robert Duvall has a terrible hairpiece. And why does Sonny introduce him as his "step-brother?" every other scene in I and II Tom is always introduced to people outside the family as a "brother."
Posted By: JMDII

Re: The other ending - 08/23/07 07:22 PM

I agree-the scene could have been written diffrently to have the desired effect
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: The other ending - 08/23/07 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
This may be sacreligious on my part, but once Brando bowed out, was this scene really necessary? I understand it is meant to end GFII by contrasting the days when the Corleone family was like the Roman Empire with the solitary Michael sitting in the yard, but its really a pretty dumb scene overall. As I have written before it is not believable that Vito could have been sent on a "wild goose chase" by Sonny. The dialogue for the most part is inane...especially Sonny's introduction of Connie to Carlo, and Fredo saying the Japanese didn't know it was Pop's birthday. Also Sonny comes off like a total jerk, sticking his fingers in the cake, fighting with Michael and basically acting like an asshole sitting at the head of the table. Also Robert Duvall has a terrible hairpiece. And why does Sonny introduce him as his "step-brother?" every other scene in I and II Tom is always introduced to people outside the family as a "brother."

Come on...
That's one of my favourite scenes in GF II...

And by the way Duvall's hairpiece was "HOT & sexy" back then!
Posted By: Brwne Byte

Re: The other ending - 08/29/07 06:44 PM

I like the one they used better too. Just because it looked so much cooler(love that Al)
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: The other ending - 09/01/07 10:55 PM

That scenes incredible, definitly the Joe College saying and the kids laughing at their father (sonny).

The scene was also needed to show how much Mike changed and fell into something he never wanted to be (like his family). It was needed.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET