Home

Vito's Voice

Posted By: Cross De Lena

Vito's Voice - 06/17/04 08:55 PM

During a recent torrential rain storm, I spent the evening rummaging through the deleted scenes disc and noticed something about Don Vito’s voice. In the scene where Tom tells Vito that Consigliere Genco may not survive the night (during or just after Connie’s wedding reception), Vito states that he and his sons should go to pay their respects. In this scene, Vito’s voice is not strained and raspy, but rather, sounds like a scene from The Wild One or Julius Caesar. Then, in what would have been the very next scene, they are all piling into the car and Vito speaks to Mike in the famous strained and raspy voice that we all associate with that character. I wonder if that is why these scenes were deleted – the inconsistent voice characterization.
Thoughts????
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/18/04 11:32 PM

Never really payed attention to that. I'll have to check it out.
Posted By: Patches

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/20/04 01:22 AM

I didn't notice that either. I'll have to check it out...
Posted By: Patches

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 03:27 PM

I did notice this. One second his voice is clear and the next its raspy. eek
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 03:37 PM

[Linked Image]

This is an AMAZING revelation!!!

[Linked Image]

Apple

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 04:06 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[Linked Image]

This is an AMAZING revelation!!!

[Linked Image]

Apple
Just wondering why it was a deleted scene - I didn't say it was going to change the world.
I've certainly read more banal topics on this board.

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 04:24 PM

If THAT were the primary reason for deleting the scene from the original film, then it probably wouldn't have even made it into the Novel for Television.

Unless while editing, FFC figured:

"Hey, who's gonna notice this except somebody with absolutely nothing to do but scrutinize every second of The Godfather during a torrential rainstorm about 30 years from now. AW...what the heck leave it in!!! I won't even refer to it in my 'Director's Comments'."

[Linked Image]

Apple

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 05:03 PM

Have I pissed you off somehow? Why the hostility?

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/24/04 05:27 PM

No...I'm just having fun. This is the most compelling topic since the one about Michael's repeating tie.

But to be nice, I'll stay away from this thread from here on in. Get over it and so will I.

Best,
Apple
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Vito's Voice - 06/27/04 12:34 AM

Couldn't they just.... [muffled voice]re-film it?[/muffled voice]
Posted By: sicilianspider

Re: Vito's Voice - 07/06/04 10:04 PM

kinda late post but I found this interesting too.

Yeah they probably could've refilmed it, so that might rule out that they didn't include it because of the voice. I think they just kept it out so that they wouldn't draw too much of the audience's attention to Genco in the first movie and really introduce him in the second.

just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Vito's Voice - 07/08/04 12:54 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
This is the most compelling topic since the one about Michael's repeating tie.
Nah, I'd say "Sonny Is Gay" is probably the most inspiring and thought-provoking topic of all time. tongue

---

I never really noticed the differentiation, but it doesn't really make sense that Brando's mistake (if it was?) would call for the scene to be removed. FFC needed to get the final time down of the film, and couldn't keep everything. It really served only to show that Michael continues to be his fathers "favorite" yet he doesn't see eye to eye with his father or what he does.
Posted By: Blake

Re: Vito's Voice - 07/11/04 08:27 PM

Holy crap! I can't believe Brando let himself go like that for that kind of a scene.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET