Home

The scene that always chokes me up.

Posted By: DONPARDO

The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/02/07 10:24 PM

Being a softy for Fredo,the scene that really gets to me is the scene of him sitting on the dock talking to Anthony,knowing how he has dishonored his family(and maybe knowing that his days were numbered)And Tom Hagen on his way to the boathouse to meet Michael stops and gives a warm smile at the two of them.As much evil that Tom has done, at that moment I felt he still had a humanity and an ability of forgiveness in him to appreciate an Uncle teaching his Nephew about fishing.
Posted By: olivant

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/02/07 11:27 PM

That humanity, of course, is fleeting. Wiseguys seem to have a good record of taking care of the families such as attending their kids' birthday parties right after they've murdered someone.
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/03/07 12:43 AM

Ever notice the 2 scenes of Michael in the boathouse agonizing about what is going to happen before he has Fredo killed...(I mean the 2 scenes before he is waiting for it to happen)
Posted By: DONPARDO

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/03/07 01:54 AM

For myself the opening of Godfather3 was the best scene in the film.Showing the boathouse,the stage where the band had played,the whole beautiful Lake Tahoe compound left to ruin,showing maybe Michael's regret of how things went so bad there,(maybe even Fredo's ghost?) that he had to get away from that beatiful place.It's to bad the film went downhill from there.
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/03/07 08:40 PM

yeah that was a good scene probably second to the final scene of part 3.
Posted By: whisper

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 02:45 AM

Part 3 kills me.That scream!!!Pacino's acting is phenomenal.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 02:51 AM

I agree Whisper that silent scream gives me goose bumps. Also when Vito is talking to Bonasera about Sonny. "Look how they massacred my boy" That just breaks my heart.
Posted By: DonBowe

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 04:14 AM

i'll never forget pacino's scream, Bravo

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DonBowe

The scream is one of the most profound scenes in cinematic history. Its pathos reach the height of human drama.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 12:42 PM

Pacino's silent scream is just heartbreaking along with the follow up scene of him sitting as an old man thinking back about all the woman that he loved and lost because of the life that he chose.

Another moving scene is when Vito rises from his sickbed and finds out from Tom that Sonny has been killed. Brando is just superb in that scene. Watching his facial expressions magically transform from a concerned man, to a heartbroken man, and back to the man in charge, in a matter of seconds, is just amazing.

Pacino's expression of pain from the silent scream and Brando's silent expression of pain from hearing the news of his son's death are probably the two best displays of emotional pain in the entire trilogy.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 12:51 PM

I've always felt that Diane Keaton's acting in that scene was overshadowed by Pacino's. If you watch it closely, you can see her agony so plainly. Because I was so absorbed by Pacino's emotions, I honestly didn't notice Keaton's until recently, but she does an excellent job.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I've always felt that Diane Keaton's acting in that scene was overshadowed by Pacino's. If you watch it closely, you can see her agony so plainly. Because I was so absorbed by Pacino's emotions, I honestly didn't notice Keaton's until recently, but she does an excellent job.

Yes she does. And she too, does an instant emotional transformation in that scene. If you watch closely, when she looks over at Michael, it's almost as though she dismisses the pain that she is feeling as a mother and is suddenly feeling pain for Michael as he let's out his silent scream.
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 01:09 PM

And Micheal's thinking back about his women was all presented in dancing. It's really perfect and I doubt that Paramount had planned this all along from the start of GF1.

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Yeah... I noticed Kay total reaction probably upon watching GF3 the second time... she almost gives way to be concerned about Michael for a few seconds... like mayber she thought she was going to lose him and Mary at the same time... watch her expression(goes from pain to concern)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 01:25 PM

Keaton's transformation in the moment of the silent scream is a brilliant piece of acting, but it always left me wondering if that emotion would later transform to even more bitterness toward Michael. Remember she loved Michael but she also dreaded him, and now the most dreadful thing one could have happen --- the loss of a child -- is visited on her and the blame goes back to Michael.

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Keaton's transformation in the moment of the silent scream is a brilliant piece of acting, but it always left me wondering if that emotion would later transform to even more bitterness toward Michael. Remember she loved Michael but she also dreaded him, and now the most dreadful thing one could have happen --- the loss of a child -- is visited on her and the blame goes back to Michael.

Agreed. Brilliant.

I think after Mary's death she could never love or forgive Michael. Ever. After all "his decision" to get "mixed up in the family business" is what utlimately gets Mary killed. Kay wont see it any other way.

Kay's worst nightmare... Michael and his business comes home to take out one of their family members. Just think... when Kay tells Michael in GF2... "we are leaving now" - she is trying to get the kids away from that life and its dangers "where my children come to play with their toys"

By the way... at the time in GF3 when she tells Michael that she dreads him... I think its just Kay being a woman being dramatic = "drama" "sensationalism"

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/14/07 06:48 PM

Yeah i noticed Kay's expression too.But also notice Connie.Both her and Kay give Michael the same look after he starts screaming and as for the very last scene in GFIII,that pretty much shows that Kay wouldn't have ever forgiven him for the death of Mary.He dies alone with nobody left.Even Anthony would have resented him from that point on.
Posted By: james_cagney

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/15/07 05:39 AM

Hello everyone. Just logged onto this forum and I hope to contribute whatever I can.

The Godfather Part II was an excellent film overall. But the ending was one of the most moving, tragic, depressing, and greatest scenes in all of movie history. Its also the scene that affected me the most. The gunshot ringing out from the view of Michael in his Tahoe boathouse brings on a feeling of emptiness, hopelessness, and destruction. At the beginning of the original when he was surrounded by family and started out as a "nice college boy", he is now a power hungry monster who has either driven away or destroyed everyone he loved around him. At least that's my view of it for now. One of the most beautiful and ominous scenes ever put on film. Its difficult to come close.

However, I also like Part III, even though its a given since I love the entire trilogy. The ending was also very depressing, and tears at your heart. Again, after years of effort to remove the Corleone family from crime, another person dear to him is gone. Michael's "silent scream" signifies all the devastation, regret and anger coming out of him all at once. Also, as another person said, Michael Corleone died on the steps of the opera, but lingered for years in physical form: an emotionless, half dead form that would collapse in a wooden chair with nobody to comfort or help him. Also very upsetting and powerful. But I still don't think its as original or well done as Part II's ending.

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/16/07 08:23 AM

Hey James_cagney welcome to the boards.I agree with you in the most part.But part 3 still niggles away at my thoughts just a tad more.I think because part 2 is such a better movie and part 3 wasn't,it takes the shine off the part 3 ending..when it actually is quite tragic.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/19/07 10:57 AM

Not that it's a choker-upper, but more on the tender side: When Clemenza is teaching Michael how to shoot the gun and kill Sollozzo and McCluskey. At one point he says (refering to Mike's military service), "We was all proud of you Mike...you're father too." Clemenza has a look on his face and tone in his voice that conveys love and caring.
Posted By: bionicjones

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/20/07 10:26 PM

I always get choked up when Tessio asks to be let off the hook, for "old time's sake." Good old Abe Vigoda.
Posted By: SC

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/20/07 10:34 PM

Vito's dealing with the death of Sonny gets me all the time.

When Vito first learns of Sonny's death:

And Vito's, "Look how they massacred my boy" look:
Posted By: 90caliber

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/21/07 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant

The scream is one of the most profound scenes in cinematic history. Its pathos reach the height of human drama.

It's amazing how people can view things so differently. Honestly, the first time I saw that scene I immediately thought of how it reminded me of Woltz screaming in his bed. I was so upset at the Lamberto confession scene, and the scene over Tomassino's coffin, that by the time the scene on the steps of the opera house came around, I was emotionless. I would certainly think differently if I had children, I know.

Only one scene in the entire trilogy chokes me up. Believe it or not, it's the scene in GF3 when Enzo the baker rolls up the cake and hands the cake cutter to Michael. I don't know why, but it gets me every time.
Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/25/07 07:15 PM

I agree with the previous posts, but here's another.

When Connie is literally begging at the feet of Michael in the boathouse.

"Can't you forgive Fredo? He's so sweet and helpless without you."
Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/30/07 05:56 PM

Another good one is when Genco's father is forced by the Black Hand to fire Vito from the groceria.

Vito's heart-felt line, "And you have to give him my job. You've always been good to me, ever since I came here. You looked after me like a father. I thank you. And I won't forget it. [VITO hugs him]
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/30/07 06:01 PM

Tom grinning while Sonny's putting the stones to old Lucy in her bridesmaid's dress.

Very poignant.
Posted By: SC

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/30/07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Tom grinning while Sonny's putting the stones to old Lucy in her bridesmaid's dress.

Very poignant.

Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 06/30/07 06:06 PM

Yup, SC, it gets me every time.
Posted By: JMDII

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 08/23/07 09:23 PM

there are a few really. When Vito learns of Sonny's death. The dance scenes in each film, when Vito loses his job in the grocery store, and of course the Scream in pt III. I personally love the scene of Micheal and Vito outside when Vito tells him that he had hoped for Mike to one day be Senator. He reveals his true motives and his dreams. I think that micheal inherits this same dream.
Posted By: DonBowe

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 08/24/07 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather

Agreed. Brilliant.

I think after Mary's death she could never love or forgive Michael. Ever. After all "his decision" to get "mixed up in the family business" is what utlimately gets Mary killed. Kay wont see it any other way.

Kay's worst nightmare... Michael and his business comes home to take out one of their family members. Just think... when Kay tells Michael in GF2... "we are leaving now" - she is trying to get the kids away from that life and its dangers "where my children come to play with their toys"

By the way... at the time in GF3 when she tells Michael that she dreads him... I think its just Kay being a woman being dramatic = "drama" "sensationalism"

Yes, that is something she would probably never forgive but when Mary gets shot and Micheal is screaming i think she realises how much Micheal cared.

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 08/25/07 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather

Agreed. Brilliant.

Yes, that is something she would probably never forgive but when Mary gets shot and Micheal is screaming i think she realises how much Micheal cared.

Yes, that look on her faces portrays both her agony over Mary's death and the realisation of Michael's trauma. To me his silent scream is the apogee of pathos about the bad things we do and their destructive consequences.
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 08/26/07 11:55 PM

All the above are great But I can never forget my Frankie Pentangeli(Michael V Gazzo)
Awsome performance

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechthegodfather2pentangelitestimony.html

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 08/27/07 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather
All the above are great But I can never forget my Frankie Pentangeli(Michael V Gazzo)
Awsome performance

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechthegodfather2pentangelitestimony.html

The scene that chokes me up is when Luca gets choked.
Posted By: pacino princess

Re: The scene that always chokes me up. - 09/02/07 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
 Originally Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather
Awsome performance

The scene that chokes me up is when Luca gets choked.

HAHA! yeah, that'll do it.
The part that gets me are the Ellis Island scenes with little Vito coming to this country alone. It's really sad and scary, for him I would imagine.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET