Home

Am I imagining this scene?

Posted By: Eddienem

Am I imagining this scene? - 11/29/03 10:30 PM

I seem to remember a scene in GF I just prior to the elevator ride into the funeral home with Sonny's body - where the funeral director complains to his wife to the effect that he should never have gotten involved with the Corleones. Was I imagining this scene, or does it exist in one of the GF versions. Help!
Posted By: Benchgod

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 11/30/03 01:01 AM

No, you are not imagining this. In the original uncut version, this scene does exist. Matter of fact, if you saw it, you were probably watching the TV version. What they do is add back a lot of the scenes that didn't make the final cut. Also, I have seen this on cable several times when they show an uncut version of the greatest movie ever made.

Hope this helped. Also, I am sure someone else will have something to add to this.
Posted By: Dream Master

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 11/30/03 02:24 AM

Is that the Saga? You'd think I would know this...
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 11/30/03 05:23 AM

That scene is one of the deleted scenes that is included in the chronologically spliced version of GF and II known as the Godfather Saga, frequently shown on cable TV in the US. It's also one of the deleted scenes included in the extra disc in the GF DVD set.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 11/30/03 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
It's also one of the deleted scenes included in the extra disc in the GF DVD set.
It is? I don't remember this scene, but I guess I should polish off my DVD collection and take a look. ohwell
Posted By: goombah

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/01/03 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Double-J:
[b]It's also one of the deleted scenes included in the extra disc in the GF DVD set.
It is? I don't remember this scene, but I guess I should polish off my DVD collection and take a look. ohwell [/b]
I definitely do not have that scene on my DVD. I remember it only from the Saga on TV.
Posted By: Dream Master

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/02/03 01:35 AM

I don't remember seeing it on my disc either.
Posted By: Senza Mama

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/02/03 10:44 AM

I remeber this scene from TV versions but it's NOT on the DVD version I have...maybe European DVD is slightly different from US version???
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/02/03 03:30 PM

My mistake--I checked my DVD set: the scene with Bonasera and his wife is found in the chronologically spliced TV version, not the DVD "extras" disc. This is really irritating! Shouldn't Paramount have included all the deleted scenes in its "premier" and "definitive" offering of a DVD set, instead of creating confusion?
This isn't the only example. One of the best and most revealing of the deleted scenes is the one in which Sonny's daughter Francesca and her fiance, Gardiner Shaw, ask Michael's blessing. On the DVD extras disc, this scene ends with Michael's blessing. The TV version has an extra five seconds at the end, in which Michael turns to a big, hulking fellow in a plaid jacket and says, "How are you, Santino?" He replies, "Fine, Uncle Michael." We're seeing Sonny's son--important view because it helps establish his age (we saw him previously in GF at Connie's wedding and when Vito returned from the hospital). Why was this not included on the DVD set? What else was excluded?
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/02/03 03:49 PM

My mistake--I checked my DVD set: the scene with Bonasera and his wife is found in the chronologically spliced TV version, not the DVD "extras" disc. This is really irritating! Shouldn't Paramount have included all the deleted scenes in its "premier" and "definitive" offering of a DVD set, instead of creating confusion?
This isn't the only example. One of the best and most revealing of the deleted scenes is the one in which Sonny's daughter Francesca and her fiance, Gardiner Shaw, ask Michael's blessing. On the DVD extras disc, this scene ends with Michael's blessing. The TV version has an extra five seconds at the end, in which Michael turns to a big, hulking fellow in a plaid jacket and says, "How are you, Santino?" He replies, "Fine, Uncle Michael." We're seeing Sonny's son--important view because it helps establish his age (we saw him previously in GF at Connie's wedding and when Vito returned from the hospital). Why was this not included on the DVD set? What else was excluded?
So in other words, there are "deleted scenes" that have been deleted on the "deleted scenes" disc? rolleyes
Posted By: goombah

Re: Am I imagining this scene? - 12/02/03 06:25 PM

[/QUOTE]So in other words, there are "deleted scenes" that have been deleted on the "deleted scenes" disc? rolleyes [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm sure this was a marketing ploy in order to hold back a few deleted scenes and release them on yet another future version. I agree with Turnbull & Johnny Ola - how can you possibly not release all of the "deleted scenes" on disc 5 of the DVD set?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET