Home

Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?"

Posted By: Buttmunker

Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/19/07 04:52 PM

Throughout Part II, I always figured Al Neri was Michael's consiglieri, but it seems that Neri was only Michael's enforcer. Same thing with Rocco Lampone.

Tom was only the legal eagle of the Family, so he wasn't.

Did Michael have one? Or did he think he was his own best council?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/19/07 05:17 PM

Tom was his consiglieri when it was "convenient" for Michael and his plans. And then was his "legal eagle" when it was convenient for his plans.

In other words it all depended on what situation Michael found himself in.

"Tom Hagen's no longer Consiglieri -- He's gonna be our lawyer in Vegas. That's no reflection on Tom, but that's the way I want it.... You're not a wartime Consiglieri, Tom. Things may get rough with the move we're trying..... You're out, Tom."

" ...it's, because I admire you and I love you that I kept things secret from you. That's why at his moment you're the only one I completely trust.Yeah -- there's a lot I can't tell you -- and I now that's upset you in the past...... You're gonna take over -- you're gonna be the Don. If what I think has happened has happened, I'm gonna leave here tonight. I give you complete power, TOM -- over FREDO and his men, ROCCO, NERI, everyone. I am trusting you with the lives of my wife and my children -- the future of this family...."

"I thought you were goin' to tell me that -- you were going to move your family to Vegas -- and that you'd been offered the vice-presidency of the house and hotels there I thought you were goin' to tell me that."

It just goes to show you the cold, manipulative, using egotist Michael had really become.

Posted By: olivant

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/19/07 09:52 PM

Michael never had an official Consigliere. As DC points out, he sought counsel when he wanted it.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/20/07 07:15 PM

Michael's hyper-controlling nature wouldn't permit anyone to be his consigliere. As DC said, he used Tom when it was convenient, but even when it was convenient, Tom wasn't a real consigliere.
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/21/07 08:14 AM

We can see a big board in the court scene in GF2, on which Mike was entitled boss,Fredo underboss and Tom consigliere. So at least in the official definition Tom is the consigliere.
Posted By: SC

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/21/07 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: wtwt5237
We can see a big board in the court scene in GF2, on which Mike was entitled boss,Fredo underboss and Tom consigliere. So at least in the official definition Tom is the consigliere.

The "official definition"???? The information on the chart is the information that the government had... it doesn't necessarily mean that it was correct. Fredo as the underboss???
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/21/07 02:05 PM

According to the "The Godfather" game by Electronic Arts (which FFC despises, btw), it specifically has a scene where Michael tells the player that Tom is out as consigliere, and Al Neri is the new consigliere...for whatever that's worth.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/21/07 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
According to the "The Godfather" game by Electronic Arts (which FFC despises, btw), it specifically has a scene where Michael tells the player that Tom is out as consigliere, and Al Neri is the new consigliere...for whatever that's worth.

..and that you are now a big shot in the Corleone family. For whatever that's worth.

The game has absolutely no siginificance whatsoever to the movie. ;\)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/23/07 02:16 PM

After watching the butchered version on Spike yesterday I had an epiphany about this nagging question. Thea answer is this: Tom remained consigliere through GFII but in title only. Michael, who trusted no one would never concentrate too much power in anyone's hands. He gave Tom that song and dance about how he had kept things form him out of respect, wehich we all agree was manipulative. Still at that point I think Tom was the official consigliere. What Michael really did, however is allow the title to remain, but he divested it of much of its power.

Compare this, for example to most Secretaries of State in government. They retain the title, which carries with it the implication that he or she is the presidents top foreign policy advisor, when in fact more often than not the chief foreign policy advisor is on the white house staff.
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Who was Michael's "Consiglieri?" - 04/23/07 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
After watching the butchered version on Spike yesterday I had an epiphany about this nagging question. Thea answer is this: Tom remained consigliere through GFII but in title only. Michael, who trusted no one would never concentrate too much power in anyone's hands. He gave Tom that song and dance about how he had kept things form him out of respect, wehich we all agree was manipulative. Still at that point I think Tom was the official consigliere. What Michael really did, however is allow the title to remain, but he divested it of much of its power.

Compare this, for example to most Secretaries of State in government. They retain the title, which carries with it the implication that he or she is the presidents top foreign policy advisor, when in fact more often than not the chief foreign policy advisor is on the white house staff.

While I agree with most of what you wrote... I think there was more too it... Michael wanted to protect Tom(keep him alive). Michael wanted to keep Tom from being kidnapped to a sitdown and perhaps being a liability. They offered Fredo the Don-ship of the Corleone family if he helped Roth and Ola... they offered Tom VP of Hotels... all ploys to against Michael.

Michael was just keeping Tom on his toes. Letting him know that he is ON TOP OF ALL THINGS.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET