Home

Bad-quality DVDs

Posted By: Turnbull

Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 03:42 PM

NY Times Arts & Leisure section today has a good article, "When Bad DVDs Happen to Great Films." Our Favorite Trilogy is mentioned as follows:
"Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather and Godfather Part II, which take up three DVDs in a five-disc boxed set, don't look quite that bad, but--given that they're among the greatest, most beautifully photographned films of all time--the results are dismaying. Images are faded in some scenes, way too dark in others,and often speckled with weird distortions. For instance, in the opening shot of Part II, the close-up of Al Pacino against a dark backdrop, it looks as if mosquitos are swarming down his face. The movie looks better when it's televised on HBO.
"Paramount is making new digital masters of the Godfather films for reissue as single-film discs, late next year.
"The Godfather is a sad case. The negative and all existing prints were, and still are, in horrible shape. When a film is a big hit, studios put the negative through the wringer, churning out print after print. With each new churning, the negative deteriorates.
"One independent film archivist says that Paramount 'horribly mishandled' the negatives of the first two Godfather films, not just by making so many prints but also by moving the job among several printing labs, some of which were 'grossly careless.' An executive at Paramount blames American Zoetrope, Mr. Coppola's company, which made the digital transfers, for the quality of the DVD's. Kim Aubry, of American Zoetrope--which, for what it's worth, has made several excellent DVDs--blames Paramount for providing him with poor film materials. 'We spent more time in the compression lab on Godfather than on anything we've done,' said Mr. Aubry, who doesn't think the resulting DVDs are so bad anyway. 'But at the end of the day, you can only do so much.' In any case, according to a Paramount executive, the studio has hired an outsider, John Lowry, to re-do the Godfather discs"
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 03:59 PM

Great, now I've got to lay out more money for another film I allready have. rolleyes rolleyes
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
Great, now I've got to lay out more money for another film I allready have. rolleyes rolleyes
You and everyone else, Eddie. The article starts off by lamenting the fact that the studios issue inferior-quality DVDs, then come out with "enhanced" or "improved" editions--and offer no rebates or other concessions to those who showed their loyalty by rushing out to buy the first edition. The author cites "Lawrence of Arabia," one of the most beautifully filmed movies of all times, as an example.
You wonder if there isn't an element of planned obsolescence here--a studio racket. I'm reminded of a passage in the GF novel, in which Don Victor
Stracci is described as being very tight with the Democratic political machine. His trucks were allowed to travel over the weight limits, which ruined the highways. Then his paving company got the contracts to fix the highways he'd ruined. "It was a business that would warm any Don's heart: business creating more business."
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 05:29 PM

GODDAMNIT! NOOO! I cannot buy this again. mad There is nothing wrong with the quality these greedy bastards! mad orange
Posted By: Pherdy

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
"Paramount is making new digital masters of the Godfather films for reissue as single-film discs, late next year.
this is absolutely no surprise to me. a few years later we'll see the release of the chronological DVD-version as well
Posted By: Dream Master

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/09/03 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
No kidding. mad
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/11/03 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
GODDAMNIT! NOOO! I cannot buy this again. mad There is nothing wrong with the quality these greedy bastards! mad orange
AINT LIFE JUST GRAND!

FUCK YOU PARAMOUNT!!!!
Posted By: TheCrazyMan

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/11/03 02:48 AM

thus the reason why i hate Big Business, they stab the little guys in the back. I already had to shell out another $60 after my first set got stolen, and now I may have to buy another set, with enhanced images!?!

The images looked fine on my tv, and well, i liked the darkened images, i think that's how coppola would've wanted it. Next thing ya know, they may do a Spielburg, and change the graphics of the films. Instead of two guys coming out with pistols to shoot Vito, they come out with water sqirters.

Screw you Paramount, I'm going home!!!
Posted By: Rota

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/11/03 08:18 PM

Oh, and for those who are interested, the Godfather single-disc release will be available in May 11, 2004, with releases of Part II and III to follow in the coming months.
Posted By: ScarfaceRH

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/11/03 11:51 PM

I just received the dvds about three weeks ago. When they are released again, I will probably get at least Part 1, maybe they will put out new special features. If a film that I really like is released again, I usually will buy it. I really don't think that the dvd picture looks that bad, but I guess that they could do better. Do any of you think that you will be buying any of them?

Riley
Posted By: Robert CK

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/12/03 01:36 AM

I'll probably end up getting it because I can't stand having a DVD and knowing theres A better version out there. WHY DO THEY CONTINUE TO DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!! mad orange mad
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/12/03 02:05 AM

Ah well. It's like when CD's finally become obsolete. Are we gonna go out and buy ANOTHER re-issue of Sgt. Pepper? This is already the 3rd time around, from vinyl-->cassette-->compact disc.

Consequently, I don't plan on shelling out more cash on the new Godfather discs. Mine are more than sufficient, and I don't have a problem with the picture, in fact in some of the areas of "imperfection" they talk about my DVD players Digital Noise Reduction helps. So I'm keeping my money, lol.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/12/03 02:06 AM

Fuck them! [Linked Image]This is why they do this,every fan rushes out and buys the newest edition. Personally I have never seen the "mosquitos",the version I have now doesnt bother me in the least.I do not plan on being explioted,so I dont plan on buying the inhanced version. I sure as hell hope they dont pull the Lord of the Rings shit on us and put diffrent extra footage on diffrent DVD versions
Posted By: SF007

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/13/03 06:38 PM

You could always rent them and rip them to dvd-rs... lol
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/13/03 11:22 PM

Not like they'll have new Special Features on them...
Posted By: Don Santino

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/15/03 10:38 AM

This is bull eh. Im getting the 5 disc set for christmas, but the new release will render them pretty useless. DAMN U PARAMOUNT!!
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/15/03 04:07 PM

Maybe its my age or my cheapness, but I don't have to have "The better and improved" CD version of the Godfather films. I have put off buying any version till now, I have been quite satisfied with the copys I made almost 20 years ago when the films first came on cable. To be honest I have had the 5 disc set for almost a month now, and havent even opened it yet. I like viewing it, when I can have uninterupted time to do so.

With all the different versions plus putting them in chronological order and constantly having advanced technology the releases could almost be endless. For my money being able to watch any version in the comfort of my home is good enough for me. tongue

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/16/03 01:09 PM

Originally posted by johnny ola:
With all the different versions plus putting them in chronological order and constantly having advanced technology the releases could almost be endless. For my money being able to watch any version in the comfort of my home is good enough for me. tongue
I concur! smile
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/16/03 03:28 PM

Originally posted by johnny ola:
Maybe its my age or my cheapness, but I don't have to have "The better and improved" CD version of the Godfather films. I have put off buying any version till now, I have been quite satisfied with the copys I made almost 20 years ago when the films first came on cable. To be honest I have had the 5 disc set for almost a month now, and havent even opened it yet. I like viewing it, when I can have uninterupted time to do so.

As a follow up to my last post, I also check "The Honeymooners" website and their message board. Shortly after the Godfather disc set came out, Paramount released "The Classic 39" Honeymooners in a box set. There have been basically the same complaints there also, basically, "The quality is adequate, but could have been better". As I stated already, I haven't opened my Godfather set yet, but I have watched a couple of "The Honeymooners" episodes, and have been very pleased with the quality. I guess I am easier to please then most rolleyes blush rolleyes
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/16/03 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Pherdy:
this is absolutely no surprise to me. a few years later we'll see the release of the chronological DVD-version as well
Yep, exactly. The'll keep up the spirit. Bring something on the market, wait a few months/years and bring something new/better or other version.

But, we are the fans, and we still like it and unfortunately buy it because we want to have all the godfather stuff.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/18/03 04:49 PM

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

This says the sound is supposed to be better.

I remember the ads for the set which said this was the main reason for the creation of the DVD format and they managed to screw it up big time.
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/27/03 03:01 AM

good too see people are starting to catch on to the world of buisness and money.
Posted By: Michael Corleone 14

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/27/03 08:47 AM

That explains why the cost of the Trilogy has dropped considarably here in The Netherlands. Thanks for sharing, Turnbull.
smile

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 11/27/03 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Don Pope:
good too see people are starting to catch on to the world of buisness and money.
tongue
Posted By: goodfella4188

Re: Bad-quality DVDs - 12/26/03 10:22 PM

This is 100% homo
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET