Home

Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"?

Posted By: Dona_Kay_The_Godchild

Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 01:02 AM

I'm a new fan of "The Godfather", and only managed to watch all 3 for the first time in the past three days, once. I still dont understand how Vito got the nickname "The Godfather" and what it means.

I was just hoping you could help me out.

Thanks
Posted By: Adamfan

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 01:24 AM

I'm aslo a new but big fan of the godfather i think he was named godfather as a sign of respect.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 03:16 AM

As the novel says, life is so tough that you need two fathers. It's common in European families, especially Catholic/Italian ones. They stand for you when you are baptized. Michael: "I've dedcided to be godfather to Connie's baby." I had a godfather. He looks after you. Thus, the Godfather.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
As the novel says, life is so tough that you need two fathers. It's common in European families, especially Catholic/Italian ones. They stand for you when you are baptized. Michael: "I've dedcided to be godfather to Connie's baby." I had a godfather. He looks after you. Thus, the Godfather.

And, more broadly, Vito saw himself, and was seen by others, as a protector of his community--a stabilizing force, a dispenser of justice, a lender, a business partner, a political mover and shaker. Thus he functoned as a "godfather" to all who accepted him.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 03:50 PM

"Godfather is a term -- that was used by his friends -- one of affection -- one of respect."

Nothing more! ;\)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/10/07 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
"Godfather is a term -- that was used by his friends -- one of affection -- one of respect."

Nothing more! ;\)

Not according to Questadt who said it was an "alias."
Posted By: bionicjones

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/18/07 01:52 AM

As far as the origin of the term goes, Mario Puzo said in an interview, “In Italian family culture, when you’re a little kid, you called all the friends of your parents ‘godfather’ and ‘godmother’ the way in American culture you called all family friends ‘aunt’ and ‘uncle,’ even though they’re not your aunt and uncle.” But he was the first one to use it in this particular way, of course!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/18/07 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: bionicjones
As far as the origin of the term goes, Mario Puzo said in an interview, “In Italian family culture, when you’re a little kid, you called all the friends of your parents ‘godfather’ and ‘godmother’ the way in American culture you called all family friends ‘aunt’ and ‘uncle,’ even though they’re not your aunt and uncle.” But he was the first one to use it in this particular way, of course!

I grew up very, very, very, very (molto) Italian and neither I nor any of my 5 siblings nor anyone in the neighborhood used it in that way. We had specific godfathers and godmothers from birth at the baptism. One each.
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: Question: Why was Vito nicknamed "The Godfather"? - 04/21/07 08:05 AM

Maybe first he swore godfather to some children(Just like Foutane). And as time went by he was not only godfather to them but to all who loved and respected and owed an debt to him.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET