Home

Subtle, but funny moments during the films...

Posted By: art_vandelay

Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/06/07 03:17 AM

i always laugh when Clemenza's wife air kisses him and he was reluctantly half way accepting it.

or when Mikey hangs up the phone calling Luca after the fish thing...his face is priceless.

the Banana Daquiri scene with Freddy where Michael almost appeared to have a heart.

Tom's demeamor, when Woltz is gettin rediculous.

Vito's face when Bonasera just wasnt quite gettin it.

anyone find these funny?
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/06/07 04:04 AM

Yeah. I always loved Vito's expression when accepting his greeting from Luca, Fredo's dance into the room in Vegas and the inebriated Fredo meeting Kay..
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/06/07 07:05 AM

For my money, one of the best subtle moments in the Trilogy comes in a deleted scene just after Connie's wedding. Vito and Michael are waiting to be driven to Genco's deathbed. Vito says to Michael, "Did your American girlfriend get home alright?" He says this in a disapproving tone--and rolls his eyes momentarily. Wonderful bit of acting by Brando!
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/07/07 10:21 PM

The fish scene where they are informed of Luca Brasi's status, the look on Michael's face as he hung up the phone is pretty funny, I get a good chuckle out of it.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/09/07 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: art_vandelay

i always laugh when Clemenza's wife air kisses him and he was reluctantly half way accepting it.

I often wondered if I was the only person who found that funny...honestly, I find it hilarious. Already I like your sense of humor.

Mmmmm...and I would say, "Go show Carlo the tree" always makes me laugh.

I imagine:

Connie: Here's our tree.
Carlo: Wow, nice.
**Long awkward silence**
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/09/07 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
[Mmmmm...and I would say, "Go show Carlo the tree" always makes me laugh.

I imagine:

**Long awkward silence**

Connie - My father always gets a beautiful tree.
Carlo - Im sure he does you spoiled guinea brat (he slaps her silly)
Posted By: art_vandelay

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/09/07 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
Originally Posted By: art_vandelay

I often wondered if I was the only person who found that funny...honestly, I find it hilarious. Already I like your sense of humor.

Mmmmm...and I would say, "Go show Carlo the tree" always makes me laugh.

I imagine:

**Long awkward silence**

haha, Carlo was a bonehead

im glad someone can appreciate that Clemenza gesture
Posted By: olivant

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/10/07 03:29 AM

I especially enjoyed the scene where Vito is eating the Connoli and some of the cream drops on his tux and his wife says "For christsakes, you're the Godfather!"
Posted By: DonRoberto

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/11/07 02:35 AM

The part I found amusing, and I didn't catch it at first: about 1 hour and 8 minutes into the film Sonny slaps Tom on the ass and Tom makes a "baaa"-like sheep sound. This occurs shortly after Sonny brags about having "a hundred button men on the street 24-hours-a-day".
Posted By: exgigirl

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/11/07 01:30 PM

I was watching the GF on tv last night and I just noticed that in the scene where Fredo stumbles over to the table and meets Kay for the first time (at Connie's reception) while he's just walking into the scene he pats Micheal on the back of the head and ruffles his hair. I've watched the GFI numerous times and that's the first time I noticed that.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/11/07 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
For my money, one of the best subtle moments in the Trilogy comes in a deleted scene just after Connie's wedding. Vito and Michael are waiting to be driven to Genco's deathbed. Vito says to Michael, "Did your American girlfriend get home alright?" He says this in a disapproving tone--and rolls his eyes momentarily. Wonderful bit of acting by Brando!

Great and funny scene.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/11/07 09:38 PM

Sonny, after telling Clemenza "send somebody with him anyway" in reference to Michael going into the city alone, tearing a piece of bread to dip into the sauce. Very subtle, very natural, very endearing. One of my favorite little moments in the trilogy.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/21/07 12:41 AM

Maybe funny, definetly subtle: After the hit on Don Vito; Sonny/ Tom, Sally, Clemenza are talking strategy. Sonny wants to kill everyone and Tom is trying to be reasonable. Sonny is sitting down and Tom comes over to him explaining about how all the judges and politicians would run and hide. Watch Tom closely, he grabs his crotch and pulls, like his underwear are scrunchin' up the "boys"....but he doesn't lose a beat.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/21/07 12:52 AM

Well, boys will be boys....
Posted By: Ice

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/24/07 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Watch Tom closely, he grabs his crotch and pulls, like his underwear are scrunchin' up the "boys"....but he doesn't lose a beat.

Good one, I've noticed that too. [insert comedic relief here]

Anyway, I think its subtle, but funny as hell when Micheal tells Moe Greene that he's unlucky.

"You think I'm skimming off the top Mike?

You're unlucky."

Only to a career gambler like Moe Greene would this be insulting. Mike is giving a pacifing response to a question that has no bearing at all. The Corleones have decided that Moe Greene is out of business and that's that.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/24/07 03:45 PM

I always get a laugh of the get up Fredo has on when he first greets Mike in Vegas. He has really bought into the Vegas scene.
Posted By: O_Fenomeno

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/25/07 12:55 PM

i always thought the bit where clemenza is instructing michael on what to do during the shooting was the funny. the bit im talkin about is where clemenza asks michael what he has to do once hes shot them both in the head. Michael replies "sit down, finish my dinner"

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/25/07 05:47 PM

1. Vito doing an imitation of Johnnie Fontaine saying "What can I do? What can I do?" and Tom laughing at it.

2. Paulie's friend tossing him sandwiches at a sumptious wedding and Paulie saying "Stupid jerk."

3. Unintentionally funny: Fredo saying "Im smaht...not dumb like everyone says....I'm smaht"

4. Also unintentionally funny is Tessio asking to be let off the hook for old times sake...he couldn't be serious.

5. After discussing business at the table Sonny telling Carlo not to discuss business at the table.

6. Connie breaking all those dishes.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/25/07 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

After discussing business at the table Sonny telling Carlo not to discuss business at the table.

Most definitely one of my favorite humorous moments from the movie.

Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 03:35 AM

Fredo's struggle w/ the bell hop in Havana over the 'luggage' has to be the most overt, yet still subtle, but funny moment during the films.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 03:41 AM

Hysterical, right up there with Fredo's little "skip" into Michael's hotel suite in Las Vegas before the meeting with Moe Greene.
Who knew that John Cazale was such a funny guy ?
Although, he was also hysterical as Sal in DOG DAY AFTERNOON.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Fredo's dance into the room in Vegas

I never thought about that being funny but it really is.

What about at the wedding when Vito sees Barzini and says, 'ah Don Barzini.' He does NOT introduce Fredo but only Santino. After Barzini shakes Sonny's hand, he then glances toward Fredo and gives Vito a very FUNNY look that would be common among two parents. Many GBBers have pointed this one out over the yrs.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Hysterical, right up there with Fredo's little "skip" into Michael's hotel suite in Las Vegas before the meeting with Moe Greene.

I think that's the scence that Kly and I are referring to PB. Atleast the one I'm referring to anyway. That scene is f'in great!

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 03:59 AM

Yeah, I think we posted that at the same time. That scene cracks me up every time. Fredo's wardrobe, everything about it.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 04:29 AM

In GF3, there was a particular moment I thought was quite funny because it just didn't "fit" somehow:

When Michael is in the hospital, he expresses his anger that Connie "gave the order" regarding Joey Zasa. When he demands obedience from those in the room, Connie (in a medium shot) gives a reaction of nods and shrugs that is pure overacting. It just seemed funny because it was so overdone.

But, I recently saw that same scene in the AMC "version" of the film and it now looked totally different: instead of the camera being on Connie alone, it was more of a long shot; other people were in the frame with Connie on the left of the screen.

Needless to say, the scene played quite differently (at least to me) because of the "alternate take" used in this version.

Did anyone else notice this?

Signor V.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 04:37 AM

I remember it. Connie gave him a look like "oh, come on" and her facial expression hinted at an almost inside joke between a crew of actors that know each other very, very well.
As far as changing the take for the director's cut and/or the AMC version, I'll have to take a look at that.
Nice catch though, SV.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 05:01 PM

Another one in GF III is when Altobello is waving his poisoned cannoli to the music of the opera.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 06:56 PM

In GFIII when Johnny Fontane is about to sing and Michael tells him that he's going into the kitchen to listen to some Tony Bennett records.

Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 08:12 PM

Good one DC

1. In the restaurant scene Solozzo tells McCluskey they are going to speak Italian so he wont understand and then proceeds to tell Michael in English that he is the "hunted one" and that he is "not that clever," after which Michael makes the pitch for his father's safety, also in English.

2. The nervous landlord trying to open the door to get out of the Genco Olive Oil office.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
In GFIII when Johnny Fontane is about to sing and Michael tells him that he's going into the kitchen to listen to some Tony Bennett records.

Don Cardi

Salsicce his own

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/27/07 09:05 PM

The nervous landlord trying to open the door to get out of the Genco Olive Oil office.

De renta stayz lika before!

Don Cardi
Posted By: DeaconBLue

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/28/07 02:38 AM

The scene in GF1 Michael is hiding in Italy. He and his two bodyguarda are sitting at Vitelli's patio.
The two bodyguards are describing Apollonia to her father with one guard repeating the other straight out of abbott and costello.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/28/07 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: DeaconBLue
The scene in GF1 Michael is hiding in Italy. He and his two bodyguarda are sitting at Vitelli's patio.
The two bodyguards are describing Apollonia to her father with one guard repeating the other straight out of abbott and costello.

"Piu Greco di Italiano"
Posted By: DeaconBLue

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/28/07 09:12 PM

Another one

In GF1 Carlo and Connie are dancing, look for the guy in the red tie in the background. He cant dance but he's trying to get in on the gravy train. Just looking at his gyrations cracks me up
Posted By: DonPacino

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/28/07 10:40 PM

Michaels facial expression when Vincent bites Zaza's ear off.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DonPacino
Michaels facial expression when Vincent bites Zaza's ear off.

"A temper, just like his father's."

Don Cardi
Posted By: Dakosta

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 01:24 PM

Vincent's expression when he is traying to explain Michael why he shot two boys in his house. Every time hi try to explain Michael why he is so violent

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 05:35 PM

The scene where Archbishop, who is probably the most corrupt person in the church is frantically praying when the whole Vatican Bank thing is about to explode in his face.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 05:46 PM

'Never fear, Pat Geary is here!!!'

Also, the well concealed but frustated-parental look on Vito's face when he shuffles Johnny out the door. After he closes the door he kind of sighs and says 'Well!', then the scene cuts. It's kind of a 'these f*in God kids are gonna kill me' look. They start shooting next week you say Johnny? No problem, I'm the Godfather. Let me tell Luca to get his horse head trimmers.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 05:46 PM

A somewhat funny scene is when Kay get's into the car in Siciliy and as the driver turns around and says "Buon giorno, Signora. At your service," and it turns out to be Michael.

I found the scene to be somewhat funny because in truth, I could never see the changed Michael of GF or GFII doing this.

Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 05:49 PM

In GF 3 when Kay inquires about Michael keeping Neri around - "He helps me get in and out of the car"

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 06:07 PM

In GF II when Fanucci drinks his espresso with one pinky sticking out in the air. It is soooo not gangsta!
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 06:37 PM

In the flashback scene at the end of GFII, when Sonny's girls are running around saying, "Daddy's fighting again - with Uncle Michael!".

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/29/07 06:52 PM

When Michael returns from Sicilia and is talking with Kay:

MICHAEL

My father's no different than any other powerful man --

(then, after Kay laughs)

-- Any man who's responsible for other people. Like a senator or a president.

KAY

You know how naive you sound?

MICHAEL

Why?

KAY

Senators and presidents don't have men killed...

MICHAEL

Oh -- who's being naïve, Kay?
Posted By: goombah

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 12:56 PM

From the first film, I always get a laugh when they're carrying Vito up the stairs upon release from the hospital. Sonny is holding his son, who gives Clemenza a good punch to the stomach.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 06:40 PM

Wow.... I never knew these movies were such great comedies

Clemenza wolfing down his spaghetti in GF II when Vito proposes they only pay $50 each for Fanucci and of course Frankie Five Angels drinking out of the hose (Fredo's plaid dinner jacket is pretty funny too).

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 06:43 PM

Clemenza cooking for the family ans teaching Michael while everybody is extressed and working after Vito was shoted.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 06:47 PM

Frankie Five Angels drinking out of the hose.

You know something Don T? That scene with Frankie drinking out of the hose was just another fine example of FFC's fine attention to detail. Being brought up in an Italian family, I could clearly remember, on a hot summer day, my Grandfather and my uncles drinking out of the hose while playing a game of Bocce. FFC being an italian himself must have had similar memories.

Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 06:58 PM

Being brought up in an Italian family, I could clearly remember, on a hot summer day, my Grandfather and my uncles drinking out of the hose while playing a game of Bocce. FFC being an italian himself must have had similar memories.

Don Cardi

Is drinking out of a water hose particular to the Italian culture?

I was drinking out of a hose just the other day when the roomies and I decided to bust out the slip and slide!!! Guess I'm becoming more Roma everyday!!!

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 08:36 PM

No, it's not particular to the italian culture. However The Godfather movies are about an italian family, FFC is from an italian family, and I happen to be from an italian family.

So what I was pointing out was that FFC probably took something he witnessed happen as an italian kid or something, done by his italian family, and inserted a small detail like that which reminded me, who is from an italian family, of something that my italian grandfather and my italian uncles did in front of me when I was a young kid spending time with my italian family.

Oh, by the way, Frank Pentangeli was also an italian.

Don Cardi

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 08:47 PM

Well said, DC. As a fellow Italian-American, I share the very same memories.
If I might go further - No, garden hoses are not particular to Italian culture, but gardens are.
I remember, as a kid in the late 60's, moving into our first house in Yonkers from our apartment in the Bronx, the pride that my father and grandfather took in their garden.
Lots of blood, sweat and tears went into working in the backyard. So if there wasn't a cold beer or a pitcher of lemonade handy, they would reach right for the hose.
Thanks for a great memory.
Posted By: DonPacino

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 08:59 PM

I am not an Italian-American but I am from Italian descent. I remember my grandfather and father taking great pride in the garden and drinking from the hose.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 09:13 PM

I'm from Spain and I studied a bit about Italian Culture on my degree.

It seems to be that it is considered a lack of respect for the host to drink or to get drunk inside his house, of there that the drinks always take in the garden. It comes from Roman Culture, where get drunk in front of the host was an insult.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dakosta
I'm from Spain and I studied a bit about Italian Culture on my degree.

It seems to be that it is considered a lack of respect for the host to drink or to get drunk inside his house, of there that the drinks always take in the garden. It comes from Roman Culture, where get drunk in front of the host was an insult.

Could be, but Frankie later did get drunk at his host's house.
He admitted it, and Michael noticed he was an old man with too much wine.

But lets get back to the funny stuff. This one is not original, but the "Champagne Cocktails" line always amused me.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 09:23 PM

I feel like drinking from a hose right now.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/30/07 10:20 PM

Quote:
Could be, but Frankie later did get drunk at his host's house.
He admitted it, and Michael noticed he was an old man with too much wine.

Becouse of that, he apologised for being drunk, I thought in that thing about their culture.

Another funny moment:

When Fredo's wife or girl was dancing in the party and Rocco told Fredo that Michael told him to stop her if Fredo didn't do it.

Then Fredo said:

I preffer you to do it.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: DonPacino
I remember my grandfather and father taking great pride in the garden and drinking from the hose.

I figured the Pentangeli drinking out of the hose scene was meant to show that Frank was a little rough around the edges. That he would have no qualms about drinking out of the water hose while the rest of the black tie affair sips on champagne cocktails. That's really interesting that FFC was also representing another facet of Italian culture w/ that scene.

BACK ON TOPIC....

I love the look on Mike's face after Lou does a 180 and turns the car back around toward the Bronx. It had appeared that they were going to Jersey and that the Corleone's plan had been thwarted. But alas.....Sollozo's moment of triumph with the great driving of Lou was nothing but another step into the Corleone trap. The whole car is thrown around during the turn and I think it is subtle but funny to watch Mike adjust his fedora in a coy yet cunning manner as he knows the trap IS in fact set!

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 05:27 PM

I love the face of De Niro (young Vito) when before he killed Fanucci The Black Hand tell him he had bollocks and he would find work for him.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 05:49 PM

Another funny scene is in GF II when Fredo tries to shake hands with Mike's body guard and the body guard does not even acknowledge Fredo until Michael tells him Fredo is his brother.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 06:34 PM

I didn't remember this. Thanks

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 10:47 PM

To venture off topic a bit again, Frankie actually does NOT apologize for being drunk, although that is what the subtitles say. In Italian, he says, Sono stanco e sono biliato (I apologize for spelling, but am writing phonetically), which means, I am tired and I am bilious, which means I am full of bile or irritated. That "drunk" translation always bothered me.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 01/31/07 11:02 PM

Yeah, the translatio could be wrong, but he was drunk.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/06/07 04:55 PM

I always get a kick out of the smart-ass look on Solozzo's face when he tells Mike "Im not that clevah."
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/25/07 07:29 PM

Boathouse, when Michael is patiently listening to what Fredo had to say on his defense...I am smart & sooo on....
Mike anything else i should know??
Then hit's Fredo with...YOUR NOTHING TO ME NOW...NOT A BROTHER....NOT A FRIEND....I DON'T WANT TO KNOW YOU , OR WHAT YOU DO!

I have wanted to say that to a few family members myself!
Just love that scene not funny but memorable

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/27/07 03:16 AM

Always loved this one-- when Michael says Roth is dying from the same heart attack for-----years! ROTFL

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/27/07 03:58 PM

I like the birthday scene on the rooftop when Roth says "smaller slice"
Posted By: BDuff

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/27/07 08:35 PM

The amount of weight Richard Bright (Al Neri) gained since the first Godfather in Godfather II. I was thinking, "Man, Neri got fat!"

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 02/28/07 02:25 AM

One of my best....Tom & Woltz
Woltz...Well let me tell you something my Kraut Mick friend,I'm gonna make so much trouble for you!

Tom....Mr Woltz, I'm a lawyer, I have not threatened you.

Woltz....I know almost every big lawyer in New York, who the hell are you? ROTFL Clapping

Who the hell are you? Get's me every time!

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 03/01/07 03:11 PM

In that same vein, I always love Wolts looking totally ridiculous when he says "And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous"

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 03/01/07 10:44 PM

The smile on Tom's face while Michael was describing his plans for the Sollozzo - McCluskey murders. He was practically laughing at him.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 03/02/07 12:58 AM

In that same vein, I always love Wolts looking totally ridiculous when he says "And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous"

Yeah, just too funny!!
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 04/23/07 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: O_Fenomeno
i always thought the bit where clemenza is instructing michael on what to do during the shooting was the funny. the bit im talkin about is where clemenza asks michael what he has to do once hes shot them both in the head. Michael replies "sit down, finish my dinner" \:D

On this scene.... Michael did just about everything different than Clemenza instructed.

Clemenza - "2 shots to the head each"
Michael - one shot to Solozzo in head and one shot to McClusky in head and one in neck

Clemenza - "let your arm fall to your side and drop the gun"
Michael - raises arm and flips gun

Clemenza - "walk dont run"
Michael - more than walks out

Clemenza - "dont look anyone in the eye but dont look away"
Michael - probably stared someone down outside and then looked away

Didnt follow instructions well...

as for my subtle scene...

when Michale flicks his lighter when talking to Moe Green... nonchalantly moved it from one hand to another(or whatever he did)... very carefree
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 04/23/07 08:28 PM

Anyone notice when Geary is disrecting Michael and gets up... he points the canon that is on Michael's desk AT Michael. BRRRRRRRRRRR..........

AND

"Senator... you can have my answer now if you'd like... my offer is this.... NOTHING.... and I would appreciate..."

Oh man!!!
Posted By: wtwt5237

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 04/27/07 08:07 AM

What is Micheal thinking about when he hung up the bell. Did he find it terrible to call to a dead man's house?

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 04/27/07 01:26 PM

I think this has been mentioned before, but I always laugh at the little hop Fredo does when he enters the room in Vegas where the band, Johnny and the babes are waiting to party with Michael.
Posted By: FrankWhite

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 05/01/07 07:42 PM

The part of the Wedding where Sonny's wife is bragging and giggling to the other ladies about Sonny's "manhood"(correct me if it's been stated already)
Posted By: Tish

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 03:48 AM

I love the scene at the beginning of the first movie when Vito is talking to Bonasera...and Bonasera says "Be my friend, Godfather? Please?" I just love the expression on Vito's face...the way he makes Bonasera squirm. Priceless.
Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 06:23 AM

The way Paulie Gatto kicks the camera that Sonny busted on the ground. Very subtle yet showed some loyalty, that we all know evaporated later on.
Posted By: whisper

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 06:36 AM

Dont know if its really that subtle..but Vito's face when Luca repeats "on the day of your daughters wedding".Just the expression on Brando's face makes me smile everytime

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
Dont know if its really that subtle..but Vito's face when Luca repeats "on the day of your daughters wedding".Just the expression on Brando's face makes me smile everytime

According to FFC, Brando had a sign on his forehead saying "F*** you" while Luca was giving his speech. Brando was a funny guy.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tish
I love the scene at the beginning of the first movie when Vito is talking to Bonasera...and Bonasera says "Be my friend, Godfather? Please?" I just love the expression on Vito's face...the way he makes Bonasera squirm. Priceless.

Yes, and Vito does something similar to Johnny Fontaine in his "You can act like a man" rant.
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:40 PM

In addition to Vitelli putting up his suspenders to give himself a look of formality....

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:42 PM

Another one

In GF1 Carlo and Connie are dancing, look for the guy in the red tie in the background. He cant dance but he's trying to get in on the gravy train. Just looking at his gyrations cracks me up

This was mentioned before, the guy doing the "fairy dance" at the wedding. \:o

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: goomba
From the first film, I always get a laugh when they're carrying Vito up the stairs upon release from the hospital. Sonny is holding his son, who gives Clemenza a good punch to the stomach.

That scene was where Brando did another funny prank. Unbeknown to the men that carried him up the steps, Brando put extra weights on the stretcher, giving the men a surprise when they had to lift him. \:D

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:53 PM

Frankie Five Angels drinking out of the hose.

You know something Don T? That scene with Frankie drinking out of the hose was just another fine example of FFC's fine attention to detail. Being brought up in an Italian family, I could clearly remember, on a hot summer day, my Grandfather and my uncles drinking out of the hose while playing a game of Bocce. FFC being an italian himself must have had similar memories.

Don Cardi 8)

I don't know if it is necessarily a "Italian" thing, drinking out of a hose, as much as it being city thing. Us Irish kids from Philly were tough, we would drink right out of the spigot, we didn't need any stinkin hose

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:55 PM

No, it's not particular to the italian culture. However The Godfather movies are about an italian family, FFC is from an italian family, and I happen to be from an italian family.

So what I was pointing out was that FFC probably took something he witnessed happen as an italian kid or something, done by his italian family, and inserted a small detail like that which reminded me, who is from an italian family, of something that my italian grandfather and my italian uncles did in front of me when I was a young kid spending time with my italian family.

Oh, by the way, Frank Pentangeli was also an italian. ;\)

Don Cardi 8)

Was the hose Italian? ;\)
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 05:58 PM

Surprised no one has said this yet. When Kay unexpectedly comes to the house and Tom meets her out front. She looks at the remnants of an exploded car and asks "what's that?"

Tom smiles and and says it "was an accident, but no one got hurt."

Did we ever get an explanation of that car in the book or a deleted scene?
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 06:28 PM

no i dont think so.

I like the bit when Sonny says "send some men with him anyway"

and Clemenza talking about mikes girlfriend when he is making food.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
Surprised no one has said this yet. When Kay unexpectedly comes to the house and Tom meets her out front. She looks at the remnants of an exploded car and asks "what's that?"

Its been awhile since I read the book, but I seem to remember a passage in the book, that might have explained the damaged car in the mall.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 08:33 PM

How about Enzo the baker at the hospital.

MICHAEL (coming out of hiding)

Who are you?

ENZO

I am Enzo, the baker -- Do you remember me?

MICHAEL

Enzo...

ENZO

Yes, Enzo...

MICHAEL

You better get out of here, Enzo; there's gonna be trouble...

ENZO

If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/05/07 08:36 PM

I always get a kick of Luca's and Enzo's squeaky shoes.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 01:53 PM

In Part II a few things I noticed...

Love the salute Franky gives when he leaves the army base dressed in an army uniform.

Love Fanucci's "Ehhhhhhhhh" when he jumps on the car with Vito and takes the dress.

Love the way Fanucci is always raising the back of his hand. "This is too violent for me!"

There is so much other stuff that I can't remember!!! It's driving me crazy!

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 02:57 PM

Pantangeli's bow to Don Michael as he says "Cicci, the door".

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 05:13 PM

Love the salute Franky gives when he leaves the army base dressed in an army uniform.

Love Fanucci's "Ehhhhhhhhh" when he jumps on the car with Vito and takes the dress.

Love the way Fanucci is always raising the back of his hand. "This is too violent for me!"

I think Fannuci is one the most interesting sub characters in the film, Gastone Moschin was perfect in the role.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: johnny ola

I think Fannuci is one the most interesting sub characters in the film, Gastone Moschin was perfect in the role.

He was! When he's stirring his tea and saying, "You've got a lot of guts. How come I've never heard of you before." Pure brilliance.
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Carson_Corleone

He was! When he's stirring his tea and saying, "You've got a lot of guts. How come I've never heard of you before." Pure brilliance.

Great performance, and just to top it the way he wears is coat is great.

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/06/07 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Carson_Corleone

Tea? I thought it was expresso.....
Posted By: HamptonHitMan

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/10/07 06:26 PM

Lots of funny scenes mentioned here!

I've always thought the scene right before Clemenza and Rocco killed Paulie. They're in the car rounding a bend and someone farts! I don't remember now exactly what was said but I think it was Clemenza saying "Oh that wasn't me" and they all laugh a little.

Hey I'm a guy, farting (even in the GF) is funny!

Rick
Posted By: 90caliber

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/10/07 07:06 PM

Its been awhile since I read the book, but I seem to remember a passage in the book, that might have explained the damaged car in the mall.

Yes, it's explained in the novel. During the war after the Sollozzo hit, a car pulled up to the mall gate, and one of the men in it tossed a bomb over the wall. Before reading the book I thought that Tom wasn't telling the truth when he said that "no one got hurt."
Posted By: 90caliber

Re: Subtle, but funny moments during the films... - 07/10/07 07:12 PM

Some of my favorite funny scenes:

-when Michael says to Connie in GFIII, "Maybe they should fear you!"
-Carlo gets tangled up in the curtains when he's giving Connie a beating
-the "Tony Bennett records" line
-"I don't care how many daigo, guinea, WOP, greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork"
-Sollozzo's impatient glances at the waiter, and the look on his face when McClusky says, "Can't stand the aggravation" -- hilarious.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET