Home

The critical comparison

Posted By: Don Rico

The critical comparison - 04/06/02 02:36 AM

I must agree with others who are less than satisfied with the DVD. Mostly my gripe is the lousy bonus footage treatment. All those scenes are essential to the narrative, and their hapless excursion from the movie discs proper is lamentable. There could have been a feature whereby alternate versions, with and without, could be accessed and viewed. Yeah.

Even though I have and do enjoy occasionally the DVD, most nights I will rather pop in my bootleg copy of "The Novel for Television." Aahh, the totality of it all...
Posted By: Snake

Re: The critical comparison - 04/06/02 04:56 AM

Don Rico, you took the words right outta' my mouth! I do cherish my DVD Trilogy, and I do like the bonus disc. But your complaints are mine as well! There was room for improvement. frown
Posted By: Alexander Supalov

Re: The critical comparison - 04/18/02 08:37 AM

Hi!

Originally posted by Snake:
But your complaints are mine as well! There was room for improvement. frown
No doubt they've learned this trick from Microsoft wink .

Best regards.

Alexander
Posted By: persiangodfather

Re: The critical comparison - 04/18/02 12:21 PM

My gripe isn't with the extra scenes at all (in fact, I always prefered the original theatrical releases, rather than the made for TV edits).

What was needed, was a proper feature-length retrospective documentary. "A Look Inside" isn't really good enough when you consider the aftermath of Part III, all the interviews/other documentaries out there, the impact of the Godfather movies, or the following of fans like us. If two-hour documentaries are good enough for such a limited phenomenon as The Matrix, surely The Godfather films, far more important as they are, merit some serious attention.

As for the variable frames (aspect ratios), would I be right in saying that all the additional scenes are only available in 4:3? I think we all agree that Part I was filmed in 4:3; what about Part II and Part III?
Posted By: Don Paulie

Re: The critical comparison - 04/18/02 09:47 PM

To be perfectly honest i was and still am quite happy with the DVD version. I do agree with Persiangodfather though, about havin a documentry about the impact godfather trilogy had on the world. Also I think they could have included sperate interviwes with actors. Wouldn't it be great to hear Marlon Brando voice his opinion on the Godfather?. Ok, i know that would have never happened, but how about other people, not involved in the movie talk about its impact and classic staus e.g Steven Spielberg, George Lucas e.t.c? Or even original reviwes and worldwide comments? confused confused

Oh well, ohwell I'm happy enough with the end result, so i wont complain any longer.
Posted By: Don Munoz

Re: The critical comparison - 04/19/02 12:23 AM

I'm very happy with the DVD. Sure, there are a few things should have been better (sound and picture in certain parts), but overall it's excellent.
Posted By: P. Walnuts

Re: The critical comparison - 04/19/02 04:17 AM

As far at the DVD goes, Im happy to have it over my VHS versions (I never owned the laserdisc). However I think GFIII has the worst transfer vs. age compared to I and II. I think II is the best transfer.

Aside from that, I'm also disappointed on the bonus features. At least with Lawrence of Arabia they provided a brand new one hour documentary for the DVD. Cleopatra (1963)has a two hour doc. as well. The Godfather deserves similar treatment, not ten year old rehased docs based around GF III.
ohwell
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET