Home

Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy?

Posted By: Don Andrew

Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 03:16 PM

What is the most tragic moment in the Trilogy?
Posted By: Sonny Forelli

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 03:19 PM

most deffinetly michaels scream at the end of GF3
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 03:30 PM

I think the deaths of Appolonia and Mary are equally tragic...both of these dearest women in Michael's life were basically innocent victims caught in the crossfire.

Apple
Posted By: TheSicilian123

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Sonny Forelli:
amen to that.
Posted By: DutchGodfather

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 03:47 PM

The dead of Apollonia
Indeed, Michaels scream at the end of part III
Fredo's "I'm Smart!!!"

frown
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 04:00 PM

I'd add Michael's solitary death in GF3 and Vito crying in front of Sonny's corpse.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 04:08 PM

I do think that Brando got so much emotion across in that one line "Look how they massacred my boy." There was only that little catch in his voice, but it said volumes.

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 04:56 PM

I always thought Fredo's death was pretty tragic.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 04:58 PM

The last 5mins of Gf3,for me is the most Tragic,always has me in Tears blush
Posted By: svsg

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/18/05 05:58 PM

Death of Sonny (actually vito's reaction to that), Fredo and Pentangeli were the most tragic incidents, in that order. Then kay saying "I feel no love for you now". Somehow I don't feel so bad about apollonia or mary.
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/19/05 01:00 AM

There's obviously ALOT of really sad moments in the films...I think the saddest is Sonny's death and the reactions we see to it, especially from Tom and Vito, but I think the most tragic moment, the one that set the tone for everything else was Apollonia's death. It was completely senseless and it changed Michael, for the worst, forever.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/19/05 02:40 AM

Mary being murdered would have to be the most tragic moment of the Trilogy. This man witnessed his own daughter's brutal death! That is tragic for any father, especially a father who loses his daughter as a result of his lifestyle! The pain and guilt that he had to live with for the rest of his life is tragic in itself!

A close second in regards to tragedy is when Young Vito watches his mother get blown away in front of him! Such a young boy losing a father, witnessing his brother being killed, and then seeing his own mother get shot! That is a tragedy!

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/19/05 04:53 AM

In the two scenes with Brando and Sonny's death--when Hagen tells him, and when he uncovers Sonny's body for Bonasera--Brando makes his face rise and fall in such pain, with such emotion, and such resolution to go on, that you can feel the tragedy radiating from the screen. Brilliant acting!
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/19/05 10:47 PM

The only tragedy is Paulie Gatto being recruited into the family. He set up Don Vito, which ultimately led to the other tragedies of the trilogy.

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/20/05 02:31 AM

I totally agree. If Paulie isn't in the family, the Don doesn't get set up, Michael doesn't go on the wrong path in life by avenging the Don, Sonny frown probably doesn't die. You're absolutley correct, IMO, dontommasino.
Posted By: Debz

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/20/05 11:04 AM

Tragic moments for me was the look on Micheals face when Kay tells him she aborted his child, thats when things really start crumbling in his life, and I also agree with his scream at the end of 3 and they way he died... frown
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/21/05 01:27 AM

Hmmmm
The gunshot echoing over the lake. The beginning of the end
The silent scream. The end of the end.
Posted By: yanivmi

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/21/05 08:06 AM

I THINK THE LAST SCENE OF GODFATHER 2 WHEN MICHAEL IS SITTING ALONE WEARING BLACK IS THE MOST PAINFULL SCENE....
" Michael's face. Middle-aged, prematurely old Michael, now a ruthless, soul-less, power-mad and paranoid gangster in the year 1959, sits quietly and introspectively on a Tahoe estate lawn chair as the cold winter approaches. He is once again alone and fully damned, with all family loyalties dissolved. He is wearing his wedding ring, although he has separated himself for his WASP-ish, estranged wife Kay. In the disintegrated aftermath, the Machiavellian figure is isolated from everyone and emptied, with dark, brooding, hollow eyes. His own worst enemy, he has either murdered or alienated himself from those closest to him, including his brother Fredo and faithful consigliere Tom Hagen"....
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/21/05 02:45 PM

Michael's scream for sure....in fact that whole Mary death scene with Connie and Kay wailing, Anthony trying to comfort his mother and Tom Hagen's son praying...

Also I agree the very understated sigh Brando makes when Hagen tells him that Sonny is dead, which is followed by him walking over to Tom and putting his hand on Tom's head.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/21/05 07:41 PM

Definitely Sonny's death And his Father in the Funeral Parlour with Bonasera..telling him it's time to repay the favour!
Posted By: Tony Soprano

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/23/05 07:21 PM

gotta go with turnbull and friends on this one. Brando's reaction to sonny's death is the great acting. That is the scene that pulled me into the Godfather in the first place, about 16 years ago.
Posted By: marlon

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/24/05 04:37 AM

I would say Brando's reaction to Sonny's death; but a close second truly tragic moment was when FFC cast his daughter as Mary in GF3.
Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/24/05 10:53 AM

The death of Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part III.
Posted By: Sonny DiCosca

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/24/05 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
I always thought Fredo's death was pretty tragic.
Fredo is a rat. Why is his death tragic?
Posted By: Sonny DiCosca

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/24/05 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Yogi Barrabbas:
Definitely Sonny's death And his Father in the Funeral Parlour with Bonasera..telling him it's time to repay the favour!
Sonny's death was very tragic. Especially when he got ridled with bullets.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/24/05 03:48 PM

Some might say the decision to make GFIII
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/25/05 03:16 PM

For me, the ending of Godfather Part III is an emotional 1,2,3 punch - and the strongest of the series. Mary's death combined with the flashback, then Michael dying all alone.... I'm in tears whenever I watch it.
Posted By: The Puppet Mistress

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/27/05 11:45 AM

I agree. IMO all the tragedies in Michael's life accumulate and lead to his solitary death. I sob for ages after that!
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/27/05 04:29 PM

When Michael watches his brother Fredo get wacked. As u see in GF3, Michael has lived with this guilt and sadness for many years. And having a brother myself I can feel his pain when I watch GF3 and see him breakdown when he tells the priest what he did.
Posted By: Debz

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/28/05 08:27 PM

Originally posted by yanivmi:
" Michael's face. Middle-aged, prematurely old Michael, now a ruthless, soul-less, power-mad and paranoid gangster in the year 1959, sits quietly and introspectively on a Tahoe estate lawn chair as the cold winter approaches. He is once again alone and fully damned, with all family loyalties dissolved. He is wearing his wedding ring, although he has separated himself for his WASP-ish, estranged wife Kay. In the disintegrated aftermath, the Machiavellian figure is isolated from everyone and emptied, with dark, brooding, hollow eyes. His own worst enemy, he has either murdered or alienated himself from those closest to him, including his brother Fredo and faithful consigliere Tom Hagen"....
Whats this from...??
Posted By: Darulerric

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/28/05 08:31 PM

Originally posted by DutchGodfather:
The dead of Apollonia
Indeed, Michaels scream at the end of part III
Fredo's "I'm Smart!!!"

frown
they should have killed Kay instead of Apollonia

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/29/05 09:08 PM

Appolonia died because it was in the novel, so you couldn't change the story. And, they could not frown have killed Kay because that wasn't in the novel.
Posted By: CorleoneLegend

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/29/05 09:48 PM

The last moments of Godfather 3 from Pacino's scream to his solitary death it's so effective
Posted By: Darulerric

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/29/05 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
Appolonia died because it was in the novel, so you couldn't change the story. And, they could not frown have killed Kay because that wasn't in the novel.
lol i know im just jokin around
Posted By: TonyD

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/30/05 01:34 AM

Sal Tessio being realized as the traitor.
also,
The moment in Cuba when Michael realizes it was Fredo who betrayed him.
Pentangele being told "Michael Corleone says hello"
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 03/30/05 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Sonny Forelli:
Absolutely! After Mary's shot and there's silence but we still see Michael screaming, it's truly moving
Posted By: CLOWN

Re: Most tragic moment in the Godfather trilogy? - 04/05/05 03:07 AM

Maybe not the most tragic moment, but pretty bad: When Michael closes the door on Kay in Part 2 when all she wants to do is see her children. It shows just how much of a feared bastard he has become by that point.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET