GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 189 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,439
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,432
Posts1,060,862
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some questions after reading the book #51018
12/01/05 08:32 PM
12/01/05 08:32 PM
Holland
H
Hankus Maximus Offline OP
Associate
Hankus Maximus  Offline OP
H
Associate
Holland
Hello ladies and gentlemen!
I`m new to this forum.. so first, greetings to all!
I`m Dutch so before I start my apologies if my English isn`t correct some times.

I just finished reading the novel, and I must say that I really enjoyed it! Haven never been a real book-reader, but finished it within a week.

But I do have some questions that puzzle me.
First of.. Luca Brasi. One of my favorite characters in the movie, but damn he`s scary in the book!
But Luca fears the Don, what did the Don do to make a such a man like Luca scared of him? I can`t really make that up from the book.

Also in the end Michael and Kay have 2 boys, but in the movie they have a son and a daughter (as we all know).
Now my question maybe be a n00b one, but is this a fact that was changed for just the movie? Or maybe it`s a translation error (I read the book in the Dutch translation, still good but you miss the "phrases" if you know what I mean)

I hope no-one was bored by this post.. but thnx for taking the time to read it!

Greetings,
Hank

Re: Some questions after reading the book #51019
12/02/05 03:29 AM
12/02/05 03:29 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Hank! Your English is just fine! And you join us with some distinguished company from the Netherlands.
In the novel, Puzo makes a subtle point about Luca Brasi: that he chose to fear Vito Corleone. Evidently, Vito interceded on behalf of Filomena, the midwife who delivered his illegitimate son, who was afraid of Luca for the reasons stated in the novel. Vito approached Luca, and Luca evidently was sufficiently impressed with Vito to pledge his loyalty. But I don't think their relationship was based totally on fear. Vito needed Luca's forcefulness, and Luca enjoyed Vito's patronage.
As for Michael's children: your example is one of many differences between the novel and the films. If you stay with these boards (and I hope you do), you'll find many more.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Some questions after reading the book #51020
12/02/05 06:45 AM
12/02/05 06:45 AM
Holland
H
Hankus Maximus Offline OP
Associate
Hankus Maximus  Offline OP
H
Associate
Holland
Turnbull, thnx for your reply!

I think I`m starting to understand the relationship between Luca and Vito... and why Vito was a bit nervous in the company of Luca grin

But I knew there were some differences between the book and the movie, because some things are very hard to capture on film but I was really struck by the 2 sons.
I thought maybe it was a poor translation, since I don`t have the orginal English to compare it with.

I`m now halfway through Omerta... wish me luck grin

Re: Some questions after reading the book #51021
12/02/05 05:56 PM
12/02/05 05:56 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
In the novel, Puzo makes a subtle point about Luca Brasi: that he chose to fear Vito Corleone. Evidently, Vito interceded on behalf of Filomena, the midwife who delivered his illegitimate son, who was afraid of Luca for the reasons stated in the novel. Vito approached Luca, and Luca evidently was sufficiently impressed with Vito to pledge his loyalty.
Not only that, Turnbull.
Luca was so desperate at that time being in jail, that he tried to kill himself. Vito arranged his release, so he had reason to be grateful to him.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull