GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 440 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,439
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,432
Posts1,060,860
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50807
05/31/05 11:07 PM
05/31/05 11:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
In the book, in the earlier days when Vito is rising up in the underworld, he goes to war with Salvatore Maranzano. At first he offers him a deal, but Maranzano, being an old mustache pete, refuses. Maranzano enlists the help of The Capones from Chicago, but after Vito Corleone makes the Capones an offer of friendship, they step aside. Eventually some of Maranzano's men come over to Vito's side and they set up Maranzano, in a restaurant and four Corleone gunman come in while Maranzano is having dinner and blast him full of bullets!

It's interesting how Puzo uses a real life Don in Salvatore Maranzano, intertwines him with the fictional character of Vito Corleone, throws in The Capones from Chicago and then has Maranzano killed in the same manner that his real life rival Joe " The Boss" Masseria was murdered; eating in a restaurant when 4 gunman burst in and riddled him full of bullets.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50808
06/01/05 12:04 AM
06/01/05 12:04 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
That is interesting. I love it when authors do that. Make a fine blend to add idea, to reality.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50809
06/01/05 11:39 AM
06/01/05 11:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Not only that, but Joe Da Boss Masseria was the one who reached for Capone to help him in his war with the Castellammarese, under Maranzano.
Another good one in the novel: Vito is described as spending hours trying to persuade a notoriously murderous, hot-headed gangster to give up his gratuitious violence. Finally, Vito throws up his hands and says, "But no one can reason with this fellow." The fellow is later executed in his favorite barber chair. Sound like someone familiar, as in the Mad Hatter?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50810
06/02/05 10:07 AM
06/02/05 10:07 AM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Thats what I like about Mario Puzo... blush

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50811
06/18/05 02:54 PM
06/18/05 02:54 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Yeah, it was a very interesting part of the book. It really showed how big he was become, fighting with Maranzano, and telling Capone to shut up.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50812
07/03/05 05:45 PM
07/03/05 05:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I like that mix too. But I think some facts are too well known to mess around with. For one, Capone went to prison in 1932, so I'm not sure what Capones Puzo is referring to when he talks about the great war of 1933.

By the way, he misspelled cafone and put an "s" on one spelling of pezzonovanti. Editing should have caught that.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Puzo mixes Fiction with Fact #50813
09/08/05 05:07 PM
09/08/05 05:07 PM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
In the book, in the earlier days when Vito is rising up in the underworld, he goes to war with Salvatore Maranzano. At first he offers him a deal, but Maranzano, being an old mustache pete, refuses. Maranzano enlists the help of The Capones from Chicago, but after Vito Corleone makes the Capones an offer of friendship, they step aside. Eventually some of Maranzano's men come over to Vito's side and they set up Maranzano, in a restaurant and four Corleone gunman come in while Maranzano is having dinner and blast him full of bullets!

It's interesting how Puzo uses a real life Don in Salvatore Maranzano, intertwines him with the fictional character of Vito Corleone, throws in The Capones from Chicago and then has Maranzano killed in the same manner that his real life rival Joe " The Boss" Masseria was murdered; eating in a restaurant when 4 gunman burst in and riddled him full of bullets.

Don Cardi cool
I always thought Puzo made a mistake. I thought he confused Masseria and Maranzano, but he did it on purpose.... I keep underrestimating that great man lol

'This was just another Bronx tale.'

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull