GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 736 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,959
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,668
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,488
Posts1,061,821
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Novel Review after 33 years #49422
04/30/03 12:43 PM
04/30/03 12:43 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Board members,
I recently finished the Godfather. 33 years ago I read it for the first time. It was quite different from what I remembered. Different in tone and quality and some of the character portrayals. I believe time and familiarity with the films degraded the impact of the book. Without going into lengthy explanations, some of my impressions comparing what I remember from 33 years ago and reading it now: (not in any order)
1. Too much Johnny Fontane, Nino Valenti, Lucy and Jules. Got boring.
2. Fredo's characterization was not as whimpy and incompetent. The movie character totally influenced this impression.
3. Written unevenly. Almost like the style changed a few times and like certain sections didn't flow.
4. Some dumb dialogue.
5. Was not a page turner.

I did like filling in some of the character personalities and the little stories of Luca, Al Neri. Forgot some of those.

First reading 33 years ago: I was two years out of high school and not a big reader. I remember I couldn't put this book down. The most exciting thing I read up to then was probably Huckleberry Finn. In the past 33 years I've read quite a bit and different styles. So, now, trying to be objective, the Godfather just seems like a nice gangster book with some interesting characters and not a very compelling storyline. The films have probably tainted my perspective somewhat, but I wonder how the book would be received if it was written today?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Novel Review after 33 years #49423
04/30/03 03:39 PM
04/30/03 03:39 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Nice review MaryC! grin

But could you please elaborate as to why you thought the book didn't flow in parts? I'm not going against you; if anything I would agree, but I'm not certain what you mean by that point.

As for whther it would have the impact today as back then, I think no, simply because when it was written there was no other book like it. People never knew of such a story that romanticised the Mafia genre, whereas today other people have written numerous amount of novels in this category. smile

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Novel Review after 33 years #49424
04/30/03 04:03 PM
04/30/03 04:03 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Capo, the flowing I refer to is somewhat in chronology, but from a perspective of the departures from the time line seem to be at odd times. Like why is he telling us about Johnny now; and from a writing style. It was like he was changing styles on occasions. Its hard to pin down. Just an overall sense.

But I agree, at the time, the book was breakthrough and cinematically FFC did the same thing. Now it is so hard to be an objective observer because of the time span and the number of times we've seen the film.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Novel Review after 33 years #49425
05/02/03 04:08 PM
05/02/03 04:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Thanks for clarifying; I totally agree with you with regard to the chronology. Going back to Johnny and Lucy and Jules et al without really explaing the purpose did two things for me:

Made me think Puzo was forced to write about such a meaningless storyline to fill some gaps and make the book longer than it was (not the case, but made me feel that way anyway.); and two, it implied that something was going to happen with Jules, like he wasn't so much the nice guy Puzo was trying terribly hard to make him out to be. But he wasn't a bad guy, and thus was no way involved with the Corleones, which to me seemed pointless and the one major downfall of the book. That said, it made me read it even more so as to get back onto the "good" stuff quicker. grin

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Novel Review after 33 years #49426
05/03/03 06:39 AM
05/03/03 06:39 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I once commented here that the writing style seemed like the book once written by someone for whom English was a second langauage, or maybe translated into English from another language by someone who didn't know English too well.

A couple of examples that come to mind:
Puzo talks about "Racing Tracks". That's the only time in my life I've heard a 'racetrack' referred to as such. Also, he writes somewhere about the Don's men having "their pockets stuffed with paper money", or something like that. It just didn't sound like English to me, so I agree that the writing didn't flow in some places.

Great literature, it isn't. Well written, it's not. Strip it down, and the plot is pretty basic and un-original. What made the book tremendously popular, I think, was popular literature's first fictional glimpse into the Mafia life. If the general public knew then what they know now about the Mafia, the book would have flopped.

"Difficult....not impossible"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull