GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 454 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,967
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Al Capone [Re: CNote] #1091512
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by CNote
Good point Dutch. I wonder if it's something someone can do on Chat GPT for the forum. I've attempted some artwork but I'm still lagging behind.

Yes that would be great Maranzano is still an enigma, He had strong connections to Chicago, but he wasn't long in the US he came after WWI.

Last edited by Hollander; Yesterday at 10:24 PM.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Al Capone [Re: British] #1091515
44 minutes ago
44 minutes ago
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Hollander
Nope TD.

One thing stands out to me with Capone with al the violence going on he was a master spin doctor.
He was a master of 'spinning', long before that concept existed, a clever manipulator who could think off the cuff and usually knew exactly what he wanted to say and what not.

The first time he attempted to directly influence public opinion was in January 1927, shortly after the body of Theodore "Tony the Greek" Anton was found. Anton had been tortured, frozen and dumped to such an extent that it was supposed to serve as a warning that the murderers could go about their business with impunity if they wanted. Several days later and without referring to Anton, Al Capone held a special press conference. The special thing about it was that he did not let the journalists come to his headquarters in the hotel, but invited them to his house on Prairie Avenue. There he received them in slippers and dressed in a pink apron(!), waving the large wooden spoon with which he had been stirring his mother's spaghetti sauce (not homemade because he liked to eat but hated cooking). He treated them to a meal in the dining room, consisting of all kinds of dishes prepared by Teresa, and accompanied by a good red wine (which of course they did not mention in their articles about the good, kind and happy family man that he was). The press conference temporarily had the calming effect it intended: in their articles about the gang wars, the journalists casually noted how much Al Capone regretted the violence.

Later ill post some additional stuff regarding Chicagos pre-Prohibition era Dutch racketeers, although Ill need some help from you regarding the Dutch names.

Regarding Capone...if you ask me there was one "small" difference between leaders like Colosimo and Torrio, and the younger ones like Capone. They all literally inherited many lucrative operations and connections from their "predecessors" or allies from the former Irish or multi-ethnic mob, mostly in a peaceful way, but the difference was that the old guys like Torrio trusted all of their so-called loyalists probably too much. For example, Colosimo was probably killed by his own loyalists, while Torrio was almost killed allegedly by other former loyalists who in turn previously betrayed him to the cops, an action which resulted with Torrio killing their leader. On the other hand, Capone already knew this and chose his loyalists carefully and eliminated everyone in quite violent style, which was used to send message to the rest of their rivals. And as you already know, during those days, besides the Italian CN and Camorra, there were numerous other clans and so someone needed to place them in line under one top administration. And so thats how Capone's (multi-ethnic) Outfit was born with the Italian brotherhood at the top, meaning the bloodbath was inevitable. According to some sources, Capone allegedly was convincing other Midwest Italian bosses to do the same thing (hence Milton Rockman in Cleveland and the Purple gang in Detroit). Thats why I always say that the Chicago group was "slightly" unique then the rest of the Italian families, since the Chi boys worked with everyone and almost "breached" the limits between the Italian brotherhood and their trusted non-Italian associates. Or as Outfit non-Ital leader Murray Humphreys once said "I remember how it used to be in the old days, with us, when Al (Capone) used to run us guys all over. We trusted each other, see?!"

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull